Large Scale Central

Woodland Railway NW-2NG #220

My dad has always had a soft spot for the old-style switchers (SW-1, NW-2, etc.). Years ago, we bought a custom-built NW-2, built on a wood substructure with an aluminum skin. It rode on NWSL trucks, and worked very well. Then, the control system and batteries gave up, so the loco was shelved, eventually to be sent to me for some undetermined purpose. Ultimately, I pulled the motors out of the trucks, and let my son push it around the railroad (which he still does!)

When I rebuilt WRY #40 (dad’s center cab), it proved very successful on the Woodland Railway, prompting my dad to think about another diesel for the railroad. Naturally, his thoughts went back to the NW-2 style switchers. Since USA Trains makes one, he acquired it and sent it to the Tuscarora RR Shops for re-fitting for service on the Woodland Railway, increasing its scale from 1:29 to 1:22.5. What emerged can be dubbed an “NW-2NG,” (N = 900 horsepower, “W” = welded frame, “-2” second version, “NG” = narrow gauge)

Changes:

1. Widened frame by 1/2", using 1/4" x 1/2" styrene bar stock on either side of the frame.

2. Widened fuel tank to accommodate 14.8v Li-Ion battery. (The side of the fuel tank is removable to allow access to swap out the battery. I can’t find the pics I took of this.)

3. Replaced stock wheels with Northwest Short Line wheels of larger diameter. (part #2662-6) Note: this required trimming back the brake detail, but that was the only modification needed to the truck.

4. New cab, steps, and railings. The cab is the same height as the stock cab at the peak, but is wider to match the width of the frame, and the sides are longer (no battery/toolbox step on the rear) and taller.

For control, the loco has a QSI “Titan” sound board, being controlled by a Tam Valley Depot “DRS1 Hi Power” receiver. This is an Airwire-compatible receiver which outputs a standard DCC signal to any DCC decoder. I found no operational differences between this set-up and using the Titan in conjunction with the old “G-wire” receivers, which are currently unavailable.

The locomotive was delivered to the WRY in July, and made its official debut in August. Here it is along the railroad…

“Official” portrait on Woodland Junction trestle

Rounding the curved trestle into Woodland Junction

Passing Woodland Junction depot

Leaving Woodland Junction, headed up the steep climb to Hemlock Hills

Emerging out of the tunnel at Pagosa Springs, charging up the 5% (!) grade

Entering the town of Hemlock Hills

The moss and woodsy foliage are signature features of the Woodland Railway. The day’s rain makes them look all the more lush.

WRY #220 pulls into Tall Oaks depot, where the railroad’s offices are located. Fresh ballast covers the rails, and the rains have splashed some of it up on the rails.

Tall Oaks depot is based on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad’s depot in Oakland, MD. (Pure coincidence that “oak” is in both names.)

Headed back towards Hemlock Hills. This is some of the original track on the Woodland Railway, laid in 1980. The ties are old-growth redwood which had been soaked in creosote (neither of which are available today).

Detail shot of the rebuilt front pilot and pilot steps on the locomotive. The radiator grill can be lifted to access the power switch for the locomotive.

More of the signature countryside

The loco has two sets of horns. Why? Because the “Titan” sound board allows me to set up two horns to choose from. One is a single tone, one is a slightly higher tone 3-chime horn. One can’t very well justify a 3-chime horn coming from a loco with only a single horn, right?

Decals are custom. I still hate decals with the purplest of passions, but they are in situations like this a necessary evil. The engineer is out of an LGB diesel I had lying about.

Back on the Woodland Junction trestle, this time heading downhill towards Gum Grove, and ultimately Willow Flats.

At its tallest, the trestle stands a little over 50 scale feet high. It is built on a 4% grade and a 5’ radius curve. The trestle bents were installed around 1990, though the cross beams have been replaced after hail damage broke many of them around 10 years ago. By the time the bents were installed, we could not get creosote anymore, so the bents were treated in a mixture of stain and Thompson’s sealer (or similar product).

Finally, #220 returns to Willow Flats, where #40 waits in the yard as well.

Later,

K

nice looking

Nice work and railroad… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

You have created another unique piece of equipment that looks great on the RR and detailed it so it looks like it has been out there for years.

NICE!

Very nice Kevin as usual! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Is it possible to get a shot of this engine next to an original 1:29 scale for size comparison?

Sean, only if someone were to bring a “stock” NW-2 over to dad’s for one of his operating sessions. It’s no taller or longer than the stock unit, just a touch wider with a wider and deeper cab. (BTW, if anyone needs a stock NW-2 cab to convert a calf into a cow, let me know.)

Later,

K

Very nice pics Kevin. Love the layout. Great ground cover, Thanks for sharing.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I like that. and I am not even a diesel person.

That paint scheme looks very Burlington Northern inspired…

I know! I had already decided on the black and green when I did #40, but when I was digging around for inspirational photos, I saw some BN units, and it fell into place. I couldn’t bring myself to do the two-tone cab, though.

Later,

K

Nice work. Sent you PM about cab.