Large Scale Central

Diesel C truck question

I have lately become fascinated with the Clyde Engineering ML2, B class locomotives. These locomotives were built in Australia and ran on the Australian narrow gauge railroads. Some were built, or rebuilt, with flexcoil trucks. But the original version had a truck I have yet to be able to identify. The side-frame appears to be a solid casting.

Since this is one of my “someday” projects, I would like to identify these trucks, and hopefully come up with some kind of information and maybe even specs or drawings of them. Any help would be appreciated.

These were narrow gauge? what gauge were they they really don’t look narrow compared to the body to me. Very interesting locomotive and would be fun to build.

As I suspected and google confirmed G24 is the correct scale for their 3’6" ga tracks.

John

Yes Devon, one was converted to standard gauge for a while, back when they were new, but these were narrow gauge. And they are different (read odd), so they fit my persona perfectly.

The paint job on the first engine sure is a spittin’ image of the Erie RR. I don’t think their trackage made it to Australia.

-Kevin.

Dieseldude they also had a paint scheme that looked like a Union Pacific clone. But I like the original (Erie-esque) best.

Those zany Aussies are at it again!

The ML2 B class loco where built by EMD for Australia

Modded Blomberg/EMD

Rex, not exactly. They were built by Clyde Engineering under license from EMD.

I was incorrect in my statement that they were narrow gauge. I read that they did not run on the standard gauge railroads, so I assumed they ran on narrow gauge. Actually they ran on the broad gauge railroad, 5 foot 3 inch gauge.

Rooster, no they are not Bloomberg trucks. They don’t have the leaf springs and spring hangers of a Bloomberg.

They are described as “fabricated trucks”. I guess that means they are built up from components, well, yea. All trucks are. But I guess that they are an in house product of Clyde, and so they don’t actually have a common designation.

So if I ever get around to bashing one up in large scale, I guess I will have to either acquire some flex-coil trucks, or fabricate my own to closely match the original Clyde trucks.

Edit for the spell chequer