Large Scale Central

Bachmann Forney

I just got a deal on a Bachmann Forney. My plan is to make it battery powered using the RCS TX1. I would like to make this as simple as possible. It has the Plug and Play, something that I have no clue about, other then you can simply add RC to it. I know their has been debates about the plug and play socket. I do not want this to turn into a pissing match. let me repeat I DO NOT WANT THIS TO TURN INTO A PISSING MATCH…

OK so I have an RCS Rx65b electronic speed controller. My question is: will this plug right into the forney? if not how hard is it to get it to work or would I be better off getting something that does fit? I want to keep this simple and utilize whats available. Im not adding any extra sounds etc… Just want to use whats already in the Forney. I have no problem getting a speed controller that fits into the plug and play socket if thats the best solution. But if I can wire the Rx65b easily to make it compatible ill do that. Thanks for putting up with my non electronic skills lol…

I also sent Tony an Email concerning the Rx565b

Nice loco.

The Forney comes with a plug in pcb which has suitable colour coded wiring in place.

The red and black wires go to + & - on the Rx65b

The Orange and Grey wires go to M & M on the Rx65b.

Connect the White & Yellow wires go to F & R on the RX65b.

The only real problem with the Forney is where to put the battery pack. There ain’t no room in the tender.

However, as you are not having sound you could use the oil burner tender cover to hold a suitable Li-Ion pack.

The battery pack is connected to the Bachmann pcb where designated and make sure the pack is fused at about 2 - 3 amps max and made removable for charging.

Hi Shawn, Tony explained how to connect his throttle or a non plug N play throttle. Your other options would be to choose a different system like the REVO or RailLinx that simply plugs into the socket. The benefit is in 30 sec all the lights and motors will work correctly. For the battery I use a 14.8v 2200 lithium pack that sits in the cab just in front of the tender. The battery is connected to the green battery terminals. I use the sockets track to battery switch for the on/off and a quick disconnect plug on the battery for charging. That’s it.

Don

Thanks don The only issue with the revo or raillinx is I need the controller and they have more then I will ever need. I already have the RCS TX1 controller and a RC plane controller. I would rather use those since I already have them. The revo would make me nuts with all the stuff i can do and the price is not worth it, especially since Im looking for simple controls. I like the raillinx but I want to avoid buying another controller.

Shawn DID state in the beginning the controller he wanted to use, that he wanted it simple.

Although I use complex systems, I do have a video where I was reviewing a Revo, and the “enter” function seems to be different on different screens. The video ends with me throwing the transmitter down in disgust.

Greg

When I answered Shawn I assumed the Bachmann Forney does come with a spare pcb to which are soldered colour coded wires like the Climax and C19 have included in their bags of bits.

If such a pcb is not included the standard pcb plug Bachmann use can be modified easily to do the same thing. I have instructions for that.

Thanks. Tony the Forney does come with a spare pcb so you can hook up anything else. I was looking at the spare one and their are two black wires, one is thicker then the other.When you say:

The red and black wires go to + & - on the Rx65b (Im assuming the thicker black wire)

The Orange and Grey wires go to M & M on the Rx65b. (does it matter what color goes to what side)

Connect the White & Yellow wires go to F & R on the RX65b. (does it matter what color goes to the F or the R)

Im assuming the aqua, brown and purple wires are for sound etc…

Also the two fuses that came with the Rx65b can I use those fo rthe battery fuse?

If you can I would love to have the directions to modify the standard pcb.

Hello Shawn.

I really need to see a pic of the Bachmann wiring to be sure of wiring.

Generally you will need the polarised red and black wires to power the ESC. They are in the middle.

If the Orange & Grey wires have the loco running backwards, swap them over.

Like wise the White (F) and Yellow ® wires.

I don’t know what the other wires are for.

I will try and find those instructions over the weekend. They must be in this computer somewhere.

Thanks Tony. Ill try and get a photo of the Bachmann wiring for the plug and play tonight.

Here are two shots of the plug and play

(http://oi67.tinypic.com/2r2tdo5.jpg)

(http://oi68.tinypic.com/nnl8g6.jpg)

start from red

red is labled R

orange m+

yellow r led

aqua smoke

small black gnd

blue b+

purple huff

white f led

gray m-

black L

H’mmmm.

That seems to be a different pcb to the later versions.

You need the one that has the diode bridge on it.

Thats the one they supply so you can hook up rc etc… Is their anyway I can make this one work? Looking at the colors you suggested above it seems it should work. Im not sure what you mean by diode bridge.

Tony maybe this will help

(http://oi68.tinypic.com/2m5gni9.jpg)

No Help really.

For a start it doesn’t show a rear light.

I do have pics on how to convert stock Bachmann socket pcb’s. I will have a poke around this computer and see what I can find.

This should help you. http://www.rcs-rc.com/PDF/Acessories/Installation-kits/BIK-K-27.pdf

Scroll down to two bottom pics.

Thanks Tony. I think that will be the easiest using the Bachmann stock dummy board. Im actually surprised no one else has come forward yet on the supplied board… Seems like as soon as you say you dont want a pissing match you get no interest.

Well looks like another dead end the dummy board I have is slightly different then what you have. Looks like the sides are same but not sure aout the orange and gray wire.

(http://oi65.tinypic.com/303i7aa.jpg)

Going back to the supplied board. You mention the board was different. If it helps my Forney has no rear light. if I go by what you stated:

The red and black wires go to + & - on the Rx65b

The Orange and Grey wires go to M & M on the Rx65b.

Connect the White & Yellow wires go to F & R on the RX65b.

Im assuming red and black are my power wires

Orange and Grey is motor?

white and yellow are the lights?

If that is case would the red go on the plug and play board labeled as Pin 12 Rail+

the black wire goes to pin 1 rail-

orange wire goes to pin 10 motor+

Gray goes to pin 3 Motor -

white goes to pin 4 front locomotive light also called F led on board

since it does not have a rear light but a cab light would the yellow go to the cab?

All the colors match on the plug and play board with the RX and the labels on the board are the same M+ M- etc…

Stick to the live steam!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Well I got the motor working in forward an reverse. Just trying to get the front lights for now. I cant figure out what wire ties it in. I have the RX white to the white front light on the plug and play. Cant figure out what other wire will tie it in. Someone has to know the wiring???

Haha Ron your right. Live steam is much easier

You must not connect any of the servo leads to anything other than the correct servo terminals.

If you start rewiring the servo leads you may screw up the programming.

The white or yellow wires go in F or R. Blue goes to + common.

A picture of how you wired it will be helpful.