Large Scale Central

Phoenix Sound Card Downloads

With the Phoenix 2K2 sound card, can I use any of the sound downloads, or do I need to replace like sounds with like sounds (e.g., diesel sounds with other diesel sounds)?

This shows the listing of available downloads. What have people been using for their 44-tonners and American (Aristo) Railbusses (goose card could work)?

http://www.phoenixsound.com/support/download.html

If you have the cable & the programming software you can upload almost any sound in the library to the 2K2. Some sound files have sound data than the 2K2 does not support, but it will use everything from the file that it can.

Todd,

Notice in the chart that the revisions are numbered (such as R8 or R10, etc.). You can download the program used to communicate with your card. That’s the software ONLY. You STILL need the programming cable to go from your computer to the programming jack on the card. For a rail bus or a goose, I used the RGS Gallopin’ Goose sound file on my Berlyn Workgoose #6.

Also you can download a diesel sound and replace a steam sound, steam to steam, diesel to steam, steam to diesel, goose to diesel…whatever you want.

Thanks Gary,

I don’t need to program anything. One of the guys in the Club has what’s necessary and will do it for me. I just need to let him know which sound I want.

I was thinking of having the 2K2 programmed as a GP-9, but the railbus also needs sound and I’ve always liked the Phoenix goose. I can put a different diesel card in the Geep, and most wouldn’t know if it is correct or not. But not many sounds will work with the railbus. A big diesel just wouldn’t be appropriate.

I used the Zimo MX645 decoder in my goose and now have control of the motor, lights and sound.

This is a 3 watt audio amp, programmable, works on DC and DCC, has features where the sound and lights are on before the engine moves, and for digital users you can drive a servo.

Dan Pierce said:

I used the Zimo MX645 decoder in my goose and now have control of the motor, lights and sound.

This is a 3 watt audio amp, programmable, works on DC and DCC, has features where the sound and lights are on before the engine moves, and for digital users you can drive a servo.

My railbus runs point-to-point over a short distance, so mostly just sits, and I was thinking that the Phoenix card could be a waste in this application. I could just as easily use an ITT “industrial diesel” that just idles with a 9-volt battery for a fraction of the cost and complexity.

But you got me thinking that I can put a time delay relay in the railbus to start the card with a lower voltage before the motor gets power at which time the voltage ramps up to the sound card.

That way we can hear the operator open and close the door, and crank over the engine, before the railcar moves out. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)