Large Scale Central

RC Batter Conversion for Critter

I have my Railboss 4 arriving this week and I am getting ready to do the conversion. I would like the option to be able to use track power if needed (around the Christmas tree) I came up with this crude diagram, does anyone see any issues?? I am a novice when it comes to electrical.

Bob,

Unless you plan on charging your batteries external of the engine, you will need a charging jack and another DPDT center off switch. Other than that , it looks correct. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Sorry, should have been more clear. Running Railboss and battery in trailing car for now until finances allow for each loco to have its own. Thanks for confirming my drawing

All good assuming the Battery is really the trail car with battery and Railboss. DPDT is good; fully isolates the track from the battery

I did the Critter conversion to battery over the weekend. It went fairly smooth…took about 3 hours of total time from start to finish. Only issue is when I got everything ready to go, powered it up, hit the learn button on the RX and nothing happened. Tried several times and finally checked the battery in the TX…it was at 1.5 volts. Once I got another battery, everything worked well.

Here are a few shots…

Yea, I don’t learn well when my batteries are running low neither.

That’s odd that a new Railboss 4 transmitter had a bad battery, if I understood you correctly. Keeping with the same subject, I too plan to install my Railboss 4 receiver into an LGB 2051 diesel loco. The issue is the size of the Li-on battery. I currently use 14.8 volt Li-on batteries of this type in trailing cars;

http://www.all-battery.com/li-ion18650148v4400mahpcbpreotectedrechargeablebatterywithbareleads.aspx

It will not fit under the hood of the loco. I’ve been looking at other Li-on batteries with the PCB protection and cannot seem to find one that will fit. The ones I find are too long.

I sent an email to Del and he said about 1 in 20 of those batteries are DOA… no biggie, got it figured out. I am using the 14.4v 2600mAh #31022 battery from All Battery. It is only 4 cells. Seems to be compact enough…it would fit under the hood of the Critter if I wanted everything on board. Not familiar with your loco.