Large Scale Central

MTH Big Boy Repair again!

Last year I got a good deal on a MTH Big Boy with broken frames, due to poor shipment. I was able to repair it. Using the brass bars you see to firm it up and some glue. Well, it did not hold, so got it back together as you see here, glued up again. After this picture I wrapped it with fiberglass. Close tolerances here so you don’t have a lot of room for metal/bolts/etc. Seems to have worked, did goof up and get some resin on the brass bars I will have to remove, since I need to move them to get the rear drive/motor back in. Hope this works!

I might point out the frame is just thin pot metal.

My first thought was mechanical fasteners. But I see you covered that ground already. Good luck with the repair Jerry.

Seems to be going okay. Might get it all back together on Sat.

Jerry-

Would the product JBWELD be helpful. The product claims to match actual welding - I have had success filling areas and having screws hold.

I tried J&B weld the first time, would not stick good, despite cleaning/sanding. Had success with it in the past, but not this time.

Jerry, is there enough meat there to drill on the diagonal across the break (but at right angles to it) and put in a couple of long tin self tappers to support the break ? I would not matter too much if you had to rebate the plastic if the heads were a little oversize. What I would describe as “electronics projects” sites and shops tend to have these odd sizes. Max

If it were me, I would lay a thin sheet of tin (22 gauge) either on the inside or outside of the frame, (wherever you have room for it’s thickness) and solder it in place. I would also run it right up over you added brass bar and solder to that too. I might even be inclined to try silver solder, but it sounds like the frame metal is cheap and may not be up to that much heat. I know it may be a bit late for this advice now, but if you find your self fixing this again (hopefully not!) you might give it a shot.

Can’t solder pot metal. Frame is made of it.

Got it back together, had a nice run with it and all seemed fine. No wind this afternoon(rare here) and the smoke was going about 3’ high, I had a great time!

We need to see a video!

Well, I didn’t have my phone out with me, just grooving to the view.

Jerry-

It has been nearly two months since your last report on the status of your loco. Is the repair holding up and do you have any concern that other owners may have the same frame problem even though no impact damage from shipment?

Secondly, I am surprised that there was not a replacement loco sought after IF the shipment method or handling was the cause of the problem initially. The cost of the loco would motivate me to make a claim – likely, one was made. Is there a story on that event worth reporting?

Wendell

Wendel,

Sorry, did not see your post. Ron pointed it out to me. I bought the BB from a hobby shop in Texas, was new. Had it sent to Ray Manley to do some things to it, arrived broken when he got it. So negotiations were between Ray and the hobby shop. It was later picked up to be sent back to Texas but disappeared. Hobby shop found it a couple of months later in a place in Ohio, not sure if it was a repair place or what, they seem puzzled why they had it.

Anyway the hobby shop got it back, still broken, looked like someone had messed with it some, not re-assembled right. Hobby shop and I talked some and I eventually got it at a LOW price. That was a good deal, but it took a LOT of work to fix it the first time, then had to do it again-that repair seems to be holding well. I heard, from the hobby shop, that MTH is making the frames stronger on the new BB they are bringing out next year, 2014. Should just use good plastic, Aristo always did and the motor blocks were fine.

Jerry Barnes said:> I heard, from the hobby shop, that MTH is making the frames stronger on the new BB they are bringing out next year, 2014.

Next year? 2014? I must be lost in the future! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)(or you are lost in the past (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif))

Now don’t get nasty Joe, because of a typo! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)Yeah, 4014, maybe by next year, but Ray thinks later. I’m 71, so hope I don’t have to wait that long. You have a Daylight box? just picked one up used, but no box.

My friend Jerry,

Didn’t mean to come off as nasty. I’m not too far behind you age wise. I don’t need a daylight box, I live in the sunshine state! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

JOe, I was just joking, as I took it you were, not to worry buddy!

Hey Jerry, seen in a post over on FB that you plan on moving in a year or so, will you be building a new layout for all the new trains you are gathering up?

Been talking about moving, but have not got the financial to go through with it yet. Nor, found the town we want to go to. Like it here, but should get closer to one of my kids. One in Wichita seems to be the one that will stay in one place. Would probably build something of a layout. Guy in Omaha did what I’ve thought of, have someone come in, lay landscape blocks about 6 high and back fill the dogbone with dirt and some rocks, then I could have a few plants. Not a real fan of just a plain elevated layout on poles. Like some plants/buildings but don’t want to be on the ground. Layout I have now is 2-3 blocks high. So I watch what people do and could go either way, depending on how it all shakes out.