Large Scale Central

No Modeling/ Just writing

Well I had to take a sabbatical from all my other interests. I had to get back to writing. I gave myself a year to get the manuscript done and half of that went by with little to no writing. I had done a great deal of research but at some point you need to say the research is done and put the virtual pen on the virtual paper. I even took this week off from work and have been writing. I am in the groove and back to loving it. Though I have to quite chasing bunnies down their holes. I keep coming up with questions I “need” to know the answer to even if it is going to be nothing more than a foot note in the book. I spent the better part of three hours trying to track down a newspaper from 1861 that referenced a false gold discovery. My book is not on mining. But it is a snip it of the areas history that ties in. How long do you search for those thing when in the end they will only be a couple of sentences? One “problem” I have is I am consider myself a proper researcher in that I prefer primary documentation over secondary documentation. This particular story is an 1884 recounting of an 1861 story. I am not content with the 1883 recounting I want the 1861 story. But that takes up a lot of time and at some point you just ave to say “save it for another day”. At any rate I am moving forward on my little book. As I am getting the manuscript done I have played with a little of the layout and looks like for every 7-8 pages of text I am going to get 15 pages of finished product (heavily picture laden) If that holds up it looks like it will be about 200- 250 pages. Considering it is a small railroad and only 10 years of history I would say that is respectable.

In addition I have landed another couple writing gigs, so I have two articles to write and a collaboration on another book. All of which basically has to be done by March. But this is no poor me post, I love it. 15-20 years ago I would have laughed at you for even suggesting I would like history much less be writing about it. I also have have to find time to finish up current 1:20 projects as they will be a static display for the NP convention next year and I have to build an HO depot for a Museum. When did all this happen?

Devon its the chain reaction thing. One thing leads to another, that leads to another, that…

You will have to let us know when the book goes to press. I know, it will be a while. Now if only someone would write a book on the P&CS. And no, I am not stepping up to that plate.

It has to go to press by September 2016. My goal is to have it in print before then, say July or August. That seems like a long time but the last 6 months went by very fast. The time consuming part will be tracking down the pictures. Knowing what you want to use is one thing, even getting the pictures in the digital age is easy. The hard part is getting permission to use them and getting the money they want for the rights. Now so far I have been able to get permission for many of them for free but some want as much as $50.00 to use them. Well there will be something like 60-70 pictures in this book, more if I can afford it. Its a game and they hold the cards.

As for writing, well if you don’t who will? better sharpen your pencil

A teaser

Here is a piece of the artwork I created for the front inside cover. Nothing special but but fun none the less. I was hoping it would look like something that would have been published in the day.

That’s great Devon, I really applaud you in this effort. My book writing efforts are in a different sphere, but my hobby-research interests have long been along the RR lines (i.e., the V&T).

When you have external deadlines, I hope they’ll compel you to greater results than otherwise. And when you don’t, I hope you’ll enjoy the hunt, and run the badger as deeply into the borrow as you can!

If any of that makes sense…

Cliff

I’m sure the writing will come easy, and footnotes are a perfectly except-able way to include more information. Heck, I’m still finding information about my MA topic 2 years after I wrote my thesis! The research never really ends, it just transitions. If you need an editor, I’m willing. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Where you ever able to locate the Congressional Serial Set?

I was indeed able to find the serial set. I couldn’t find anything on my particular railroad but I was able to locate some peripheral that was nice like the original treaty with the Coeur d’Alene Indians allowing the white man to build a road through their land. This gave Mullan what he needed to build the Mullan Road.

Devon Sinsley said:

I was indeed able to find the serial set. I couldn’t find anything on my particular railroad but I was able to locate some peripheral that was nice like the original treaty with the Coeur d’Alene Indians allowing the white man to build a road through their land. This gave Mullan what he needed to build the Mullan Road.

Huh, that’s interesting that you couldn’t find anything. I figured for sure that something would be mentioned, but maybe it’s just buried deeper in the Serial Set. Good luck on the writing front, and don’t get too distracted by everything else!

Devon Sinsley said: Here is a piece of the artwork I created for the front inside cover. Nothing special but but fun none the less. I was hoping it would look like something that would have been published in the day.

And it does. Cool, nice work.