Large Scale Central

FYI Great Train Expo Pomona Fairplex July 17-18

This is a new show, next weekend. Packed hall of vendors from the look of the vendor floor plan. I’ll be there as will DelOro but the Door Hollow will be skipping this one. Wish I could tell you what vendors but Bill lists personal names not businesses so I dunno who’s gonna be there till I get there. What the hey, its a new show!

Anyone know it the Fairplex layout will be operational?

On the other site I was informed that the Fairplex layout will be open til 2pm Saturday but not on Sunday, also that Bridgemasters and Gold Coast will be the main G vendors.

Good show, seemed pretty crowded Saturday, OK on Sunday. It rained late in the afternoon Saturday, and on Sunday right after the show closed we got a real gully washer! Loading became a real PITA in the rain for everyone. I was luckily able to get parking close to the end I was at, and in a lull in the deluge I loaded up. Still got soaked. Driving home I almost needed a boat!

The GTE folks were great! Thanks to Randy Bachmann and his family, they did a great job even dealing with the bureaucracy that can make the Fairplex a pain at times. I was able to get set up and taken down on my own once again but this time the wear and tear on the layout really took its toll.

To get it in and out on my own, I have to unload it out of the car onto its side onto a collapsible dolly, then roll it in and manhandle it up onto the sawhorses. If I am lucky I can get someone to help carry it in and out but the last two shows I did it solo. Yesterday I had two buildings break off as well as several figures. It was never designed to be tipped on its side as necessary to get it rolled into and out of the hall. I had this problem at the BTS to a degree a but at the Anaheim Citric Festival I had to tip the whole layout 90 degrees and that took a toll as well. At the Anaheim GTE I can drive right into the hall and unload the layout keeping it flat. Its also very bulky and its weight make it very difficult to manhandle onto the sawhorses and in and out of the car on my own. I have to seriously consider that if I have to tip it on end to get it in and out that I’m just going to have to skip those shows. It really beats the hell out of the layout.

I went Sat and found 7 seated 1:20.3 people for my combine and the price was not bad but overall way to many venders asking full retail and not willing to negotiate at all. Somehow sellers feel if they have Accucraft or Bachmann 1:20.3 its worth its weight in gold. I just go to shows for the small stuff now and for that very rare gem.

Bob its no different from shows out in the midwest with high prices in the last couple years, if its got a red box (LGB) or the 1:20.3 stuff they think its gold. And I see it carried in and out of several shows with no sales, one would think they would get the hint that its overpriced. Glad the show was a good one overall. Mike

I’ve noticed that also, depending on the vendor. At the BTS some guys were asking WAY too much for G, and its always the guys who you know are clearly not G modelers. One guy had laughably high prices for Scientific/New Bright junk, and these guys genuinely think they are going to sell at that loony price, otherwise why do they bring it?.

Its not always such, this weekend Bridgemasters had some great prices, like an LGB Forney for $325, not bad! But yeah the affliction can be particularly bad with Accucraft/AML and Bachmann 1/20 stuff.