Large Scale Central

Phoenix P5 sound system

Hey all,

Not real familiar with the Phoenix sound boards. I’ve successfully connected it to my airwire board and now am working on the fine details. Could someone please help me out on the following?-

Ability to change horn sounds

Changing the start up- i.e. two horns when moving forward- same with stopping with the single horn

Getting rid of brake squeal

Can I control volumes individually?

Can I make the changes using CV’s on my airwire throttle?

Just a few of what I’ve got right now…

Thanks

Matt

Matt, do you have the programming cords and software? That’s the only way to make the changes your after and no, the Airwire controller can’t make changes to the sound. Once you have the correct software and cord to connect your loco to your PC you can make every change your after and then some. Also check to see if a Battery/Sound installer is close to you, they would also have the program.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for filling me in Bob.

Aside from a dealer I would imagine the only way to find someone to help would searching/networking on here?

Thanks!

Matt

Matt Z said:

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for filling me in Bob.

Aside from a dealer I would imagine the only way to find someone to help would searching/networking on here?

Thanks!

Matt

Or buy direct from Phoenix. I don’t believe it costs all that much and the nice thing is if you want a sound different you can do it in a matter of seconds yourself

The software and sounds are free to download from Phoenix website. The cable costs about $75 last I knew. They will give you a schematic if you prefer to make your own, but by the time you source the parts and build it your savings will be minimal. I’m cheap and I bought the cord (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

The cable is a 9 pin R2232 (serial) connection on the computer end. Some have had success with RS232 to USB adapters, but I prefer the native connection. This is getting harder to find on modern computers.

Best bet for just these one-time tweaks is to find someone local who has the stuff and can help you. All of what you want can be done. Why they ever made that annoying brake squeal a default sound I will never know!

Hi Matt, in your area is The AZBTO club. Contact Dan Hoag at Eagle wings. I have done many of his locos and one of his club members might have the software. If you get stuck I would be happy to reprogram the board for you.

Don

All,

Thanks for the insight. I will start making contact with these resources.

Matt