Large Scale Central

Spam on General Discussion

FYI-

I sent Bob a PM about this already, but it looks like we have a lively Spammer on the General Discussion forum. 18 Posts of junk.

I have to wonder why they do that stuff. does anyone actually call the phone numbers in that kind of mindless rambling, or click any links (if there are any)? How does that stuff benefit the spammers?

1. they do it for money

2. clearly someone is calling

3. see numbers 1 and 2

Greg

David Maynard said:

(1) I have to wonder why they do that stuff. (2) does anyone actually call the phone numbers in that kind of mindless rambling, or click any links (if there are any)? (3) How does that stuff benefit the spammers?

All gone. About two months ago I turned on “auto-approval” of new users since we hadnt had any spam signups in ages. WE had two signups this morning. That option is back on now.

Could someone smarter then me, Please hack his website, and cause a nightmare for MR Black magic.

Greg Elmassian said:

1. they do it for money

2. clearly someone is calling

3. see numbers 1 and 2

Greg

David Maynard said:

(1) I have to wonder why they do that stuff. (2) does anyone actually call the phone numbers in that kind of mindless rambling, or click any links (if there are any)? (3) How does that stuff benefit the spammers?

Yes Greg, I know that they have to benefit somehow. And money is a nice benefit. But the spammers on the other site don’t put phone numbers nor live links. So I have to wonder how they benefit.

With so many sites blocking strings of IP numbers, and whole ISPs, I have to wonder why those ISPs don’t do something about it. The other paying customers of those ISPs, are denied access to many sites because of this…stuff.

Clicking on the link in hopes of stopping them makes them click points… many folks ‘try’ and end up feeding the rats.

John

ps, showing an ability to gather clicks is a salable feature in the underworld…