Large Scale Central

Using DCC Equipped Loco on DC Power

I was recently given a Bachmann 55 Ton 3 Truck Shay (a present from my wife). The box says that it has “DCC Sound Equipped with Tsunami Sound Technology”. I currently only run DC equipped locomotives (with Crest Revolution Control) that I run on track power. They are all Aristo’s with the plug and play capability.

My question is, can I run the Bachmann Shay using DC power without damaging the locomotive or the electronics or the power supply?

I would also like to install a Crest Revolution receiver in the Shay. Has anyone done this before? And are there instructions/wiring diagrams anywhere to do this. As a retired Construction Engineer I understand Electrical, but do not understand Electronics.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yep, no damage. Virtually any DCC decoder you can find has “analog mode” available.

Yes people have done this, but you will want to get some more direction if you want to leave the original sound card.

Are you thinking of using the Revolution with sound but not hooking a speaker to it, and then feeding that to the existing shay electronics and have that run the lights sound and motor?

You will need to put a “pwm to linear” filter between the output of the Revolution and the input of the Tsunami…

Greg

Thank you Greg.

I was hoping to be able to hook the Revolution in and have the sound and lights work with it. I will look into the filter if I decide to install the Revolution.

Again thank you for your help.

Yes. the filter is a small gadget, basically smooths out the PWM pulses from the Revolution so the Tsunami does not misinterpret it as DCC.

That’s the simple install. Aristo made some and they were relatively cheap. If you hook up that way, the lights won’t be “intelligent” but it is simple. Later you can hook the lights directly to the Revolution.

Regards, Greg