Large Scale Central

Suypercap vs Gel Battery for the Sierra Comparison

I’m getting ready to install another Sierra sound system and this photo shows the difference in size between using the 6 volt gel battery and the pack of three, 2.7 volt (2.85 volt peak), 6 Farad supercaps wired in series. The difference in weight is just as dramatic. These are a direct replacement and will plug right into the board using the plug pulled from the gel pack.

Todd… thanks to your earlier posting on the subject, I’ve used the “supercaps” in place of the 6 volt gel cell very nicely…

Again, thanks for the information…

Todd, did you consider any need for an inrush limiting resistor?

I guess a low charge gel cell would present a load too.

Greg

Yes, I tried that, and various low impedence resistors, and current routing diodes, but none of that was necessary and only made it that much longer before the system would come alive and prolong its death through spurious noises (additional motorboating) before it goes quiet.

Thanks Todd, good to know the facts!

gel cells are really a thing of the past…

Greg

Yes, gel cells are. I used NiMh batteries when I installed my Sierras, but they need charged before each run. Either the Sierras don’t charge them well, or they discharge too much between runs. Yes, I turn off the Sierra with a toggle switch. So my next install will use those super caps. I have some, but I haven’t used them yet.

Supercaps are SUPER!!

I use them on my LGB 6500x sound units for analog operation with a 7808 regulator as the regulator will limit the charge rate to 1 amp and some regulators are sold at .5 amp max. The smallest ones are 100ma max.