Large Scale Central

Pete Thornton - URGENT

Pete - you’ve been hacked.

See your PM

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

I just got a curious E Mail from Pete.

Binned it without clicking on anything.

I just took a look at the sender and binned it.

I recommend everybody else to do likewise.

tac, ig, ken the GFT and The Mount Gleep Fanclub Boys

did you report to Bob?

Why’s that? It’s not this site that has been hacked, but Pete’s private email - the gigantic CC list that accompanied ‘his’ email to me may or may not include our Bob, but I’ll be truthful and admit that I didn’t look at it long enough. The bright red banner that appeared almost instantly on my screen was enough for me.

Unless of, course, Pete really IS called Hanna and really does live in Slovenia…

tac

Sorry guys. It wasn’t from me and I didn’t get hacked directly.

The bad guys are hacking into AOL’s servers and stealing all the address books. Then they send these emails with my name but not my email address on them. AOL apologized for the access breach a few weeks ago. Sigh.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/youve-got-hacked-aol-confirms-significant-number-mail-users-hit-n91701

(And I bet Bob did get one - he’s in my address book.)

Pete - no need to apolicate, 'snot your fault. Over here in yUK I’ve been hacked yet again on Booktwitch, so I’ve left it forever. If any of you communicate with me using that facility, it’s now gone.

tac, the genuine article, accept no substitutes.

'This post not genuine unless it mentions, in any order, any of the following - ig, ken the GFT, the Boys of XXXXXXXX, Mount Gleep, OVGRS or any combination thereof.

Sorry TAC, for some reason I thought you said “look at your signature” which would imply his login here had been hacked.

Greg

Ah, bless your heart, Greg. Pete and I are occasional emailers, hence the ease with which this POS hacker got to me using his innocent name.

Best

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Yep, had that happen a couple of times. I’ve sent it to Bob. For some people my only contact with them has been train sites. Common denominator is somewhere in model railroading inner space.

In this day and age, be careful what you open.

I love the sound of a can or worms being opened early in the morning.

Oh, thats not what you meant.

Got it, dumped it before opening. Happens quite regularly here. Used to get a ton of them from Ric, but that finally stopped.

One thing that helps everyone spot bad emails is to use a relevant subject when you do send out an email. When I get stuff that has a subject like “Important Message from Some Name” or “Hi There” it goes straight to the dumper. But, if the subject is something I would likely be discussing with this person, then I open with caution. And I NEVER click on links sent by email, even if they are contained in a legitimate email, without checking them out first.

Oh yea, the emails that say Hi and use my email address as my name get dumped right away.

If only those folks would put their time and talent to more legitimate things.

Seems that Yahoo is probably a mail system you should avoid. Just got a suspect message from “Ric” This was the header. Note that the From email address isn’t even close to Ric’s. It’s not a hack, just a spoof using Ric’s address book.

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2015 01:47:02 +0000
Subject: From: Richard Golding

David Russell said:

So how’d ya do that - and why?

Daktah John said:

David Russell said:

So how’d ya do that - and why?

Just to let everyone know he’s still around.

Doesn’t somebody want to send me a million dollars? Just send me a check!

Doug, I will get right on that. But don’t bother trying to cash it, it will be drafted on the account that I closed sometime in the previous century. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)