Large Scale Central

USAT New Haven PA A unit

I have a brand new (test run only) USA Trains Alco PA A unit in New Haven Paint. It’s too big for my basement layout so I would like to sell it or trade for an Aristocraft RS-3 unit.

Hopefully the person getting this unit would be able to meet me in York next month as the packaging of this item is really complex and I hesitate to ship fearing damage. It is a beautiful unit! Cash price is $200 or trade for an RS-3. Thanks.

Mike McCormack

mocrown AT Bellatlantic.net (AT = @)

Hudson, Massachusetts

Hi Mike,
What is the number on the NH PA?
Original box?
What are you looking for in an RS-3?

Hi Bob,

I’ll have to post the number tonite when I get home.

Original box and packing. All the bits of cardboard are there. I ran it once to see it worked on track power and concluded it was too big for my indoor layout.

I can use any RS-3. I plan on repainting into New Haven black and orange as #526 with detail additions. Spent many hours watching that loco work.

Thanks.

Mike McCormack

mocrownsteam

Hudson, Massachusetts

Is an RS-3 that much smaller than a PA? The RS-3’s are pretty big.

An RS-3 with four or five freight cars is a better fit than a PA with four or five passenger cars. The six wheel trucks look strange on my curves. I was

displaying too much emotion and not enough brain function. It is a beautiful unit!!!

Mike McCormack

mocrownsteam

Hudson, Massachusetts

Hi Mike,
I would like to have your NH PA, but I won’t be going to the ECLSTS. I do have many RS-3s, most of which are custom painted in NH. I do have road # 544, a black hood, red cab Aristo production unit with Kadee couplers (I may still have the parts to return it back to Aristo knuckle couplers) that I could trade with you or cash whichever you so desired. Years back I had # 526 custom paint and traded it. You can see it in the G scale info at mprr.org, the club of which I am the VP. I have # 544 custom paint in red hoods and black cab in the rebuild configuration, love them red hoods!!!
I don’t know what your routing is to York, PA, but I could possibly meet you in the Springfield, MA area as you travel to York as long as it isn’t in the middle of the night! I’m near Norwich, CT and can easily go to Springfield, MA, weather providing!!!
Let me know.

Daktah John said:

Is an RS-3 that much smaller than a PA? The RS-3’s are pretty big.

Oh yes, the PA has 3 axle trucks and is longer then the FA or RS. I would have one if I didn’t have a small railroad.

Thanks David. That helps remove the temptation - I love my RS-3’s.

Bob,

My loco is road number 0772. I would be happy to trade for the stock black/orange RS-3.

I can meet up with you most any place half way. We go to Putnam often to antique if that helps. That’s not a bad ride for me.

Mike

mocrownsteam

Hudson, Massachusetts

Hi Mike,
Putnam is easy for me. Let me know when you are planning a Putnam trip and I’ll PM you my mobile phone number.
I remember DL 109s, RS-2s, RS-3s, S-2s, RS-1s RDCs, GP-9s, PAs, some steam, all New Haven from my days as a kid in the late 40s and 50s living in Providence, RI. I don’t recall FAs in those days, but I may have confused them with PAs back then.
Aristo had FAs & FBs in New Haven early on and then the RS-3 came out and I had to have lots of them. I do have both USA Trains NH PA road numbers and a custom paint PA in green with stripes. I also have a bunch of custom painted FAs & FBs in New Haven, one could say that I like the New Haven Railroad!!! Custom NH heavyweights, box cars and more!!!
I have a 1955 Caddy 1/25 that I want to make into a high railer with PBM on the plate. I also have other 1/24-25 diecast cars/trucks that I want to do the same to, just need to get off my tush and get going on them. I also have an Aristo Pacific that I want to make into a NH I-4, but moving the walkways on the boiler has been problematic, but I’ll work it out or pass on it. I have and RS-1 that I made from two USATs S-4s, but it needs painted and I’m not a painter.
I recently had a friend return my Boston & Maine RS-3 to me, I had forgotten all about it!!! Getting old!!! Always liked the maroon and black B&M engines.
Let me know when a Putnam trip is good for you, I’m retired and usually available.

Hi Bob,

How about this Friday in Putnam. I’m off work and can make the run down. PM me and let me know.

I grew up next to the New Haven passenger main in the Jamaica Plain section of Boston. Saw quite the parade of trains in the late 50’s and early 60’s. I’m too young for steam(63yrs old) and the DL-109s were in South Shore commuter service by the time I can remember what I saw. Well remember A-B-B-A FA units on the Boston-Lowell freights. Chased that train quite a bit once I had a car!

Great idea on kitbashing an RS-1 out of two USAT S-4’s. I might have to steal that idea from you.

So let me know if Friday works. Perhaps we could meet at the train station in downtown. Last time I was there I think there was a hot dog place in the building.

Mike

mocrownsteam

Hudson, massachusetts

The PA locomotive has been sold. Thanks for looking.

Mike McCormack

mocrownsteam