Large Scale Central

Vendor and Manufacturer forums

Howdy

After some discussion and some emails, I’m implementing a trial run of Vendor and Manufacturer forums. I’ve seen these work very well on other sites, so I thought I’d try them here. How they work is that a site advertiser can have their own sub-forum here. They will have total moderation access to their forum, I will do no moderation on them. They are a great place to see new product releases, ask questions, etc. They can both benefit the public (with more information, and on a site that isnt totally owned by a biased party) and the vendor/manufacturer. I hope our trial run works out well.

From the manufacturer’s stand point, this should be convenient to reach a ‘captured audience’. This could be the perfect portal for the modelers to learn and ask questions. Thanks Bob for affording everyone this opportunity.

I too hope the trial works well.

Thanks for taking the leap of faith. I am looking forward to this new addition to a very good site.

Doc Tom

Hi Bob.

Good idea to have them so that new product announcements don’t fill up the other Fora.

Questions.

Would it be OK to make a posting at a regular forum with a link to the vendor forum when something new is announced?

Would it still be OK to continue posting installation articles at the normal forums?

Tony Walsham said:

Hi Bob.

Good idea to have them so that new product announcements don’t fill up the other Fora.

Questions.

Would it be OK to make a posting at a regular forum with a link to the vendor forum when something new is announced?

Would it still be OK to continue posting installation articles at the normal forums?

Yes on both counts.

Thanks Bob.

So what happens now to set it up?

Let me set yours up later on after work today.

Thanks Bob.

I look forward to seeing what happens in 12 hours or so.

I will be working all day today volunteer driving a patient to hospital in QLD. 400 km RT.

great idea, and could imagine drawing some further site sponsors…

It would be nice if PNG, Ozark, Hartford, Banta, Precision Products, Bronson and any other kit\parts manufacturers would participate.

To Bob, sorry I opened this can of worms.

Bob,

Would it be out of place to offer an automatic forum to any of the existing paid advertisers as a part of their sponsorship?

Bob C.

If there was a forum, but no commitment from the manufacturer or vendor to maintain and moderate and respond, then I would say it’s out of place.

If there is not the serious commitment to respond, then all you have is a bunch of empty forums AND since they are moderated by the vendor/manufacturer, it would turn into a moderation nightmare, just falling back on Bob…

If people are interested in participating, they will speak up, then the issue of commitment is moot.

So bob, I would say no, not automatic, by by invitation and subsequent commitment.

Regards, Greg

p.s. I just “pinged” Accucraft, I think they should be here, so much speculation on their products, here’s a way to end that.

Greg,

My comment was as an enticement to populate the vendor/mfgr area. I figger gotta start somewhere. I also figger that those who already sponsor this site also read it at least now and again.

Bob C.

Sorry Mr. Cope, but I did not follow the logic.

Seems that Bob already has and or will contact advertisers, vendors, etc.

My point, which I tried to make clear, was that just automatically creating the forums, without the commitment from the vendor/manufacturer to manage it, will result in failure, and not work.

But maybe I read you wrong, maybe you meant to just offer it. I believe that is already Bob’s plan, so I did not consider that angle.

Going back and reading your post literally, that is indeed what you said.

So, I may have incorrectly interpreted your post, and I apologize.

Regards, Greg

My current plan (subject to change without notice) is to have a few advertisers as the beta-users of the sub-forums (Tony and Matt, right now). If they work out like I’ve seen them work on other sites, I’ll offer them as an add-on to the advertising package.

Greg,
No apologies necessary, written word is all to often mis-interpreted. It is real difficult to determine ‘what I said’ vs ‘what you heard’ when there is no inflection of tone. Sometimes I need to re-read my stuff before I post it and look for the obvious flaw.
Bob C.