Large Scale Central

Computer Train Control (Basic or Advanced)

First off let me state I do not want comments about different ways of running a layout ie track or battery, etc. I have used computer based software for over 20 years and I like the idea of having more than one train running on a single track. Bi-directional also.

There are many software packages available today, but many are very complex and the learning curve is Long.

If a software package was available that makes it fairly simple to just run your trains easily with reasonable training would this be of interest to you?

I am not designing a program, but if interested will report on my findings and construction on making a Garden Railroad using computer automation to run your trains.

I have found a software package that might work. It will be DCC based control but simple to program and run.

Dennis,

Train Controller from Freiwald does all that for a reasonable price and a relatively easy learning curve.

I’m certainly interested, however I would need some sort of open driver capability to add wireless control, I don’t have track power. Alternatively, a complete open source incarnation would be all the much better.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Dennis,

Train Controller from Freiwald does all that for a reasonable price and a relatively easy learning curve.

That is a nice package, but having three levels can confused you to which one is needed. I prefer a single price package.

If any one is interested in maybe starting a small group to evaluate this software please PM me.

I have discussed this at the NMRA convention in Atlanta with some LS companies and found out some are pursuing this them self.

martan sant said:

I’m certainly interested, however I would need some sort of open driver capability to add wireless control, I don’t have track power. Alternatively, a complete open source incarnation would be all the much better.

The idea is getting new people interested in model railroading and DCC. We are talking more about “shake the box” type of control. Simple but enough options to keep expanding you pike.

I’m In, Make sure that it’s MAC compatible.

I have licensed copies of TC Bronze in the shop and at home, I also have a licensed copy of STP to use with ZIMO MX1.

It all depends what one wants/expects from automation and if it is inside or outside.

As a general observation, automation seems a lot more popular in Europe, the “supported by a PC” concept is more popular in NA.

Oh, ok. No worries. I’m not a DCC fan myself but I understand the interest.

For anyone in my camp- ie open source, experimentation, wireless, etc. I did find this:

http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php

Which looks interesting.

Martan

This is what I have planned on TC Bronze for the garden

(http://www.rhb-grischun.ca/P1/Grischun01a_s.jpg)

The madness behind the method is: Have five people - dispatcher and four engineers/conductors - running trains on a single track “point to point” line. More passenger trains than freights. TC reports position of trains, aspects of signals, positions of turnouts etc.

The challenge will be to run four trains, three under control of an engineer, the fourth one in full auto fom Thusis to Samedan or vice versa.

Even more of a challenge, run two passenger trains in auto point to point and two freights under engineer control. Dispatcher clears the freights to get from station to station where they need to do work.

Could the software package you have in mind manage that?

Good question HJ.

It should handle that just fine. Software will allow mixed automation and manual operation, manual can be assigned anytime you want a run a train or by using the fast clock.

My planned layout will be a very large mainline in a loop-to-loop configuration with 4 trains running on it at the same time and one point-to-point trolley line with 3 trollies and sharing one of the passing sidings on the l-2-l.

I have run this configuration already with another non dcc software package and it worked great, now want to add some additional operating functions on my new pike.