Large Scale Central

My HO layout

I took some photos of our HO scale layout. Trying to get it from all viewing angles.

It’s based on the Santa Fe railway in Southern California during the late 1950s. A wide range of geography in a little space. From the orange groves to the Mojave desert.

Still slowly progressing, but recently I’ve made a lot of progress on the roads and some other details.

Hope you enjoy (and if you’d like to see larger images, click on the link in my signature).

Looks good Matt, Lots of detail. I have an HO layout out the same size i was given not to

long ago that I’m rehabbing into a 2 piece modular for my train shows. Thing are definitely a lot smaller than in Largescale.

Nick

Sightseerer lounge in the 1950s?

:wink:

Nice work Matt.

David Russell said:

Sightseerer lounge in the 1950s?

:wink:

You bet. Although the Santa Fe called it “Hi-Level Lounge”

(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/Sante_Fe_Railroad_El_Capitan.JPG)

Now I hope you’re just messing with me, as any self respecting Amtrak modeler should know about the Santa Fe Hi-Levels.

But if not…Santa Fe introduced their Hi-Levels on their all coach train, the El Capitan, in the mid 1950s. When Amtrak purchased the Hi-Levels in 1971 they liked the design so much that the Superliners were based on the double deck Hi-Levels.

Amtrak still owns a few Hi-Levels. Including all but one of the original six Lounge cars. They are currently serving as the Pacific Parlor Car on the Coast Starlight.

Matt Doti said:
Now I hope you’re just messing with me, as any self respecting Amtrak modeler should know about the Santa Fe Hi-Levels.

Actually Matt I was not messing with you …I was fully aware of the Santa Fe high level cars(El’Captain) and how the superliners became of them. However I didn’t realize they had a lounge car like that and never put 2 and 2 together making them the current Parlor cars on the west coast. So I learned something.

Thanks!

Maybe this new knowledge will inspire some Hi-Levels in 1:29 hint hint.

OK, maybe I’m messing now :wink:

Nice pix, good H.O. work, interesting and informative thread. Thanks guys.