Large Scale Central

Detailing my Bachmann C-19

I started with this:

[img][img]

It is a Bachmann C-19, undecorated, with long tender.

• First I had to cover up that awful red color around the windows and doors. I took the cab roof off and took out all the windows and then masked the clear part. Then I proceded to paint the frames, engine black.

• Next, I replaced the cast in boiler plugs with Trackside Details castings.

• I added smokebox cleanouts from TD.

• I added a Baldwin builders plate from TD.

• The front number plate is a TD Baldwin plate with the raised letters also from TD. I did polish up the letters with some very fine grit sand paper so they shined.

• I cut off the factory uncoupling lever because it looked too unrealistic. I bent a new one out of brass bar stock and welded on a piece of flat brass strip and attached a Ozark Minatures blacked chain.

• I didnt like the Bachmann coupler and had read that it was difficult to replace with a more prototypical one. I liked the centering mechanism of the bachmann coupler, so I unscrewed the bachmann coupler, which left the shaft. I then cut off the centering and part of the shaft off an Accucraft coupler. I then shaped the end of the Accucraft shaft to match the Bachmann coupler I had just removed. Then I glued and screwed the Accucraft coupler to the shaft on the locomotive and it worked perfect. The coupler is at the proper height and has the springing left-right motion that I wanted.

• I cut off the factory “rope” that went to the whistle and bell. I then used a technique I read that Jack Thompson used.

• Strip some small stranded wire down to the individual pieces. Discard the covering.

• Then I took four strands and clamped them in my bench vice.

• Then I clamped the other ends in my drill and slowly turned the strands together until it looked good enough to me.

This makes a more rigid realistic rope for the bell and whistle.

• Because the bell rope rubbed on the Steam Dome I decided to mount a holder on the steam dome. I took a piece of brass wire and formed a loop and stuck it to the side of the steam dome. This looks more realistic to me.

• The tender didnt recieve too much modification. I replaced the coupler using the same technique I used on the front and also replaced the uncoupling lever.

I added a Titan sound card and G-wire. Also, I put a crew in her and used Stan’s custom decals. I weathered kind of heavy because of two things. I got too careless with my decals and sprayed too heavy of a coat of clear coat, which resulted in the decals bubbling. I was able to cover it up with some heavy overcoat of weathering. Also, this engine represents one of the first built Consolidations on the line and so it has seen a lot more work than some others.

So without further adeu:

3/25/20 - Update - I got asked about the pictures because my old photobucket account no longer allows for sharing photos. Here are the photos in a new place and also I added a few more. If you have questions, ask away. I still run her when I can and she still looks good.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QZ2gGH8wxF8T1Efn8

Looks good. Like it was made to work…:wink:

Great job Jake. Could you post a detail close up of the coupler mod please ?

Sure, when I get home I’ll take some pictures.

Jon,

Sounds like what i did with my front coupler a while ago, Jake just used the longer shank. I wish Bachman would offer the round sand dome as a seperate piece, then i would do another one. Jake have you considered replacing the pop valves and whistle with TD parts? they are way oversize. i have the parts to do mine i just need to get to it.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/17627/updates-and-upgrades-to-the-bach

Ken Brunt said:

Looks good. Like it was made to work…:wink:

Yep!

If it ever warms up enough for me to open up the paint shop, I’ll get a chance to get mine looking like that! Amazing what a little paint and weathering can do to make a locomotive come to life.

Later,

K

Looks great Jake! Hope I can get mine looking half that good when I get one.

Al,

I have thought about that. I’ve got an order sitting here and I might order some of those and switch mine out.

My coupler modification is similar to Al’s, but his is more robust. I didnt change the stock shank at all. I detached the front coupler part and attached a Accucraft one in its place. Here is some closeups that Jon asked for. Hopefully everything can be seen ok.

img[img]

Top part. Again, you can see the stock bachmann shank. I did cut off part of the trapizoidal key off the shank.

img[img]

Bottom part as best I could. You can see the screw that is stock from the original bachmann coupler. I did have to cut some of the shank on the accucraft coupler as it was too thick.

In that last pic I noticed I didnt paint the bottomside of the coupler!!! Oh well, not too many people are going to see that side.

I found some in progress pics, it isnt much but shows the amount of weathering I did.

img[img]

I failed to mention, that I opened up the backhead of the cab. I never liked the enclosed cab of a D&RGW style Consolidation. I also removed the sunshades. They didnt look right to me, I dont know if I will put some new ones in or not.

img[img]

This shows the cab at another angle. Notice I have yet to remove the cast on boiler plug.

img[img]

img[img]

These are two shots of the tender.

Thanks Jake. I’ll file that away for future reference.

Jake,

I’m just starting on my C-19 and am unable to view your photos due to some photo bucket thing. anyway you can repost or maybe even send them to me?

Let me know,

Thanks for you help.

Best,

F. John

Can’t See Pictures, just a faint Blurr

Dennis

I can’t see the photobuckets (fuzzy) shots either, tried opening with a click on the pic… nothing