Large Scale Central

Scratch SD70ACe

I was building an engine a while ago. When I ran into some extra difficulties making details and arguing with a guy about the build, I lost energy and sidelined the project. I never thought I would be bothered by other’s rude comments. It sits in front of me waiting for me to get myself back at it.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/albums/view/11857

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/a9/a9/01/1a701_75a2.jpg)

That’s GREAT. Keep at it!

Also curious about the bridge behind it.

Looks like you are doing a great job. Keep on going!

Joe Paonessa said:

I was building an engine a while ago. When I ran into some extra difficulties making details and arguing with a guy about the build, I lost energy and sidelined the project. I never thought I would be bothered by other’s rude comments. It sits in front of me waiting for me to get myself back at it.

Really is a shame to hear that a model builders talents and enjoyment are being sidetracked by others. The build I see looks great, and I’m sure a lot of time and effort have gone into it.

Most who comment negatively on others builds, talk to hear themselves.They may recollect seeing the item in question in a different way.Opinions are a dime a dozen.

Build what you see and like, and forget those who can’t find a positive to comment on.

Edited to add welcome aboard.

Nice Joe… :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting that pic. That bridge behind is a MTH O scale double bridge in rust color. It’s sitting there because I have a lot of work to do!!

(G scale moves outside so O scale takes over inside)

Joe,

I’m a narrow gauge and whimsey modeler, but I do admire anyone who steps outside the box and builds: Any scale, any gauge, any prototype.

Keep us updated.

John Bouck said:

Joe,

I’m a narrow gauge and whimsey modeler, but I do admire anyone who steps outside the box and builds: Any scale, any gauge, any prototype.

Keep us updated.

Likewise…keep it going…

That’s pretty impressive. What details were you having problems with? The ones you have look quite nice. Love those screens.

Joe,

I have never heard negative comments from a person of talent. Usually those who comment negatively are more jealous of your talent and their lack thereof. Like John B I am a narrow gauge modeler, but still appreciate any model where someone took the time, effort and creative talent to make something that no one else has. Keep up the good work, looks good for a ‘powered boxcar’ (said completely tongue in cheek).

Bob C.

that is going to be a awesome engine

Dick

SWEET!..OK where did you get the brass Nathans! BTW I’m the reverse here at LSC I love modern mainline stuff but appreciate any modeling talent!

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/public/album_photo/a1/a9/01/1a6f9_385c.jpg)?c=4f97

Forgot to add Welcome!

Those horns came from the Aristo parts website. Maybe their Dash 9?

I like when guys joke around. I could add some comments about this one guy’s remarks…I’d rather just let them go. They were not funny or cute. They were a shot at my talent which is not great. This is my first attempt. I chose 1/32 and I’m happy with that. I chose an MTH PS2 sound board and smoke unit. I’m happy with that too.

I can’t get the air intake grills right. I built a set and they were slightly crooked. While I was gluing the number board boxes on in a rush, I forgot that the headlight surround was also crooked. I had to cut off the number board boxes and scrap the side intakes. I get frustrated with some finer work and needed to step away. I’ve got the USA side frames cut down close to, but not perfectly aligned with the wheels. Some of this stuff is close enough for me. I don’t do rivet details. I can’t get the grills squared perfectly.

I switched to brass and maybe back to plastic, I don’t know yet.

here she is a while back running. To me…that was an accomplishment in itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAow2-yxRyY

http://www.largescalecentral.com/albums/photo/view/album_id/11857/photo_id/105997

well, I’ll figure this picture thing out soon … I hope

Joe Paonessa said:

I can’t get the air intake grills right. I built a set and they were slightly crooked. While I was gluing the number board boxes on in a rush, I forgot that the headlight surround was also crooked. I had to cut off the number board boxes and scrap the side intakes. I get frustrated with some finer work and needed to step away. I’ve got the USA side frames cut down close to, but not perfectly aligned with the wheels. Some of this stuff is close enough for me. I don’t do rivet details. I can’t get the grills squared perfectly.

Believe me when I tell you I understand…I model by eye myself

This was the last part I attempted to make. It would still need mounts for attaching soldered on. It’s all still sitting here waiting maybe for next winter?

Well, even attempting a scratch build is a huge undertaking, but you have done very well. I hope you plan on continuing, because it sure looks nice.

Where are you located?

I would encourage you to keep a build log here - I found it really helped me in my attempt at building. Lots of good suggestions as well as just plain support.

One thing that you will find on here is that if you do get any criticism, it will be constructive. I for one, am constantly amazed at some of the talent that’s gathered here. And sometimes it can be a bit intimidating…:wink:

And if I failed to mention it…welcome aboard.

Joe Paonessa said:

Joe, I keep small pieces of brass/plastic strips on hand, and tape them to what I’m working at when it’s critical to get a true edge or square corner. File or sand to the edge, or set your piece to the edge to glue or mount.

We all step away at times, and I know I sometimes remake what I’ve done because the first try doesn’t suit me.