Large Scale Central

The Best Small, Easy-to-Separate Two-Prong Plugs

I am rewiring an old Kalamazoo 4-4-0 so that I can switch between track and battery power. I need several two-lead plugs so that I can pull out the motor for maintenance. I haven’t been very successful finding plugs that are small AND easy to pull apart in tight places. I got a bag of Micro Mark microplugs and it takes two pairs of pliers and some strong language to get them apart. Did I mention that my three quarters of a century old fingers are a bit less flexible than they once were?

I am using 20 gauge wire; I don’t anticipate much over 2 or 3 amps and soldering is not a problem. Does anyone have a favorite small plug that might work in this application? Or any alternate suggestions?

Thanks,

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/DelTapparo/gscalegraphics_1_019.htm

David - As luck would have it I just posted a new article on my web page that talks about connectors that I have found to be useful in garden railway applications - might help with your question - see:

http://www.trainelectronics.com/Articles/Connectors/index.htm

Please let me know if you have any questions.

dave

I use the JST connectors. Don’t come unplugged on their own, yet I have no problem unplugging them.

The red color is a little too visable…

Ralph

Thanks Dave.

Handy information.

Happy to help, Tony!

Ralph - I use paint or a black Sharpie to make the JST’s less visible - an easy fix!

dave

Thanks to all for your help!

Dave, I ordered the JST 15234 Cables from DX. I hope the ‘Spring Festival’ holiday is past:

“Subject to lunation. Approximately late January. 7 days”

Lunations?

Quite a celebration! And apparently DX recognizes it; that is a long shutdown…

Regards,

Dave, do you have a source for the 2,3,7, 9 subminature plugs used in the AC Revolution boards and Pheonix sound cards?

Thomas - unfortunately the connectors that are in the article will not work with Aristo’s boards - you should be able to order the auxiliary cables directly from Aristo Craft - they may sell the others, too, same with Phoenix.

dave

unfortunatly, AC haas been out of stock on any Rev connectors since introduction. I have talked with Dallee and Phoenix at shows. They both noted they have been unsucessful at getting connectors or PN so as to make harnesses for direct plug in. I was just hoping you knew of a source or brand PN.

Thanks, Dave (again). I use those Miniatronics Corp 50-001-02 connectors. But those PC board screw terminals look like they’d work great on my LED power supplies. I’d have to redesign the PC board, however.

For every new solution, there’s a new problem!

David Bodnar said:

David - As luck would have it I just posted a new article on my web page that talks about connectors that I have found to be useful in garden railway applications - might help with your question - see:

Please let me know if you have any questions.

dave

Great website post Dave. You should post a link in the Reference Forum here. I’ll bookmark it but will probably forget I have it when I need it :]

I’m a total know-nothing when it comes to electronics. That said, I’ve done plenty of wiring in my time, on board in black boxes and under the bench.

I have found dress snap fasteners - the little snappers that the girls have on their blouses - make very handy miniature electrical connectors. Buy a couple of cards full in several sizes at your dollar store’s sewing dep’t.

After soldering the wire on, I generally epoxy the male half into place with JB weld. So as not to solder the spring on the female half, you have to solder your wire very carefully, but with a little practice and patience it can be done even on the smallest size fastener. You should expect to create some wastage at first, but the things cost next to nothing, so just toss 'em and chalk them up to experience.

The two halves snap together. A strong thumbnail, a jeweller’s screwdriver or hobbyknife can be helpful in prying them apart.

I’ve been using them for years.

I think I know the size of the plugs shown. The smallest I’ve seen is a plug with a white dot on a black insulated cover. Maybe only an 1/8th of an inch across.

I’m sorry, I don’t have an example.

thomas prevost said:

Dave, do you have a source for the 2,3,7, 9 subminature plugs used in the AC Revolution boards and Pheonix sound cards?

Thomas - I did some research and have found a source for the 3 conductor plugs that the new Revolution uses for the link and trigger connections - I just received a set of them and they fit perfectly into the socket on the new Revo board. They can be ordered here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150858582613?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They are intended for micro servos.

I also have a line on the seven conductor auxiliary cables and have a vendor sending me some for testing.

Stay tuned!

dave

Wow. Breakthrough!

Dave

If you search Ebay for “micro jst 1.25 connector” you will find several choices.

They come with the wired plug and the board socket. It is cheaper to buy the wired plug and throw away the socket. Ten 2 or 3 pin connectors for $4.50 and free shipping. I just got some today and they work very well. Looks like the 7 pin plugs are $7.59 for 10 sets. It took some time to get from China, but I am happy with the price. I don’t know anything about the sound boards so I can’t help with connectors for them.

Tom

thomas prevost said:

Thomas - I found the 7 pin connectors on eBay and got a set in yesterday - the work well. The only difference is the arrangement of the colors of the wires and the wire length. I put some photos and notes on my web page:

http://www.trainelectronics.com/ART5700TrainEngineerRevolution/Connectors/index.htm

I have a set of 2 conductor plugs ordered and will add them if the fit properly.

dave

Thanks Dave,

Will you have these for purchase at York? If not I will order them.

I really appreciate your effort here? My problem was that I cut the unused wires and then you and others (Norton) have described how to control volume with Revo. Cannot implement without new harnesses.

Thomas - I can bring a few along if you need them - I really didn’t get them to resell but will not need 10 in the near future.

FYI, I will be arriving Thursday and leaving shortly after my Friday morning presentation.

See you next week!

dave