Large Scale Central

The Next Generation

I’d like to introduce you to Phoebe and TJ. Somebody was taking pictures during their operations time, but nobody has stepped forward with photos. I was too much in shock to even think about pictures. I don’t know their last name, but I know them and I know they are home schooled, because I always question why they aren’t in school on Friday. We easily recognize each other, plus their Dad. He’s learned that we are a trustworthy lot and has roamed the show while they work the puzzle. But this time Dad watched in awe as his kids performed, what I’ve never even imagined.

TJ now stands up to about my shoulder and Phoebe is just a little shorter. I can tell you that the first year TJ took the controls, his height was about at my waste. When TJ was younger, I can remember him moving back and forth as he sited down the tracks to make sure the turnouts were aligned. This is our 10th year of having the puzzles at the ECLSTS and TJ and Phoebe have been at most of them.

This year, the thrill was mine. They walked up, we exchanged pleasantries, talked about the rules and they took the controls. I sat down with a couple of other guys and watched the show. And it truly was a show. Phoebe rolled the dice to see what cars would be pulled for the manifest at the Inglenook Yard. At this time, TJ took a quick glance to see what would be coming in to the Timesaver Industrial Park and as Phoebe made up her train in Inglenook, TJ was getting the outbounds ready. Phoebe would pick up speed and the whistle would sound as she rolled in to town. She pulled all the way down the mainline and TJ went to work. The caboose was pulled and the inbounds were taken off, before the outbounds were put on the train. The caboose was reattached without spilling the conductors coffee and Phoebe was headed back out of town. TJ placed the cars at the Timesaver locations and then looked at Phoebe’s next manifest. The dice were rolled 4 different times and it was like a well choreographed ballet that went on for over an hour.

I sat there in shock. I have never even imagined my puzzles being used this way. Two people working as a team, running the yards as separate destinations. I hope I can relay the pride I have in watching these kids enjoy our hobby. I’ll remember this event for a long time and it will make me work hard to make it to next year’s show just to hope to see it happen again.

Hey, maybe there is hope for our hobby yet ! Thanks for the story Ric.

Ric, I’ve seen TJ at the controls in years past. Like I told you, Phoebe I did not recall. I’m glad you related this story first hand to me on Sunday at Kens, as I was able to see the pride and excitement in you, that this story elicited. You have passed on a wonderful thing to the up and coming generation. I hope you can enjoy this many times over in the coming years, and who knows, maybe even have others who show as much interest at York and the other venues you attend.

Great story and great work at the Timesaver.

I think I may have pics of them in the past but not sure…none this year though

Ric;

Looks like I may have just missed that Ops session. Glad you got to enjoy it. I was busy in the other hall trying to find an HLW trolley that turned out to be vaporware.

Best,
David Meashey

The operating session I liked the best was when Skip fell asleep in the chair with his finger on the button and the Climax slooooooooowly made it’s way from Inglenook to the track bumpers on the Timesaver…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:
The operating session I liked the best was when Skip fell asleep in the chair with his finger on the button and the Climax slooooooooowly made it's way from Inglenook to the track bumpers on the Timesaver...............;)
What no pictures of that. :(