Large Scale Central

Out-and-back locals

I’m just getting started trying TrainOps. My operating scheme is to have a train leave the yard and drop/pickup cars at trailing point sidings along the way to the end, turn around (on a wye) and return switching the sidings that were facing point on the way out (now trailing point).

1. TrainOps doesn’t allow me to return to the same area twice (return trip), i.e can’t enter same location again when building a train.
  2. If I set up two trains, one Northbound, one Southbound and run them sequentially, it doesn’t know to take cars out on the first train for the second train to deliver them. The return train has no yard near it to pick up cars from. I thought of duplicating locations (name1, name2) for North and South trains, but it still won’t know to take cars on train 1 that train 2 needs to deliver.

Any ideas on out and back locals?

Sounds just like what I was trying to do and not able to get it quite right. I’ve not tried this, but I think you might be able to create a fake track plan that has all of the facing point locations in sequence after the trailing point locations so that the same train would work both.

For example; Atown has one each trailing and facing; followed by BTown which has one trailing and two facing. The track plan the way the train would see it is…

Origination YardN

ATownN - 1 industry siding

BTownN - 1 industry siding

Wye - Might need something here just so it tells the train to proceed past BTownN

BTownS - 2 industry sidings

ATownS - 1 industry siding

Origination YardS

Not certain this will work, but might be worth a try. The only problem I can see is that the program won’t know that Origination YardN and Origination YardS are the same place.