Large Scale Central

Tenshodo GN Y-1 electric

About a month ago I ‘stole’ a fully factory-painted Tenshodo Great Northern Y-1 electric loco on e-bay. I have already got one in dark green, but this one, in warpumpkin, was just TOOOOOOO booful to resist.

Looking at the foam in the box, and the wheels, it appears that it has never been run at all - the clear film around it has no folds or creases that are the usual sings of multiple use.

Oh yes, it runs in total silence, too.

We’ll be trying it out with a nice long train of cars on wednesday night over at the club. If the power unit is working ok I’ll take a short movie clip and post it on Youtube.

BTW, the last UK price for this beauty was a heart-stopping £1125.00 - for an H0 version. the Max Grey 0 scale version is long out of print…

I forked out just under $400 for this one. Deal or not?

Best to all

tac

TAC – Izzit won a dese?

(http://i15.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/fc/27/d519_3.JPG)

Sincerely, Joe Satnik

Joe Satnik said:
TAC – Izzit won a dese?

(http://i15.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/fc/27/d519_3.JPG)

Sincerely, Joe Satnik

Mines the earlier version without the over-cab spike… I LOVE these big box-cabs sparkies!!! tac

Hi, Tac.

What is the function of said over-cab spike?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Joe Satnik said:
Hi, Tac.

What is the function of said over-cab spike?

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Well, Sir, the locos as originally built were designed from the get-go as a lash-up loco, used to haul HUGE trains through the then-new Cascade Tunnels in Washington State. Steam locos wopuld asphyxiate the crews on the 8 mile long holes through the Cascades…Quote - ‘Great Northern’s electric locomotives were confined to the Cascades, purchased to relieve asphyxiation problems in the Cascade tunnel caused by exhaust of steam locomotives. The initial class of four locomotives were confined to the Old Cascade Tunnel only, while the later models were used on the entire line-segment from Wenatchee, through the New Cascade Tunnel, to Skykomish.’

The Great Northern Railway rostered a total of 24 electric locomotives. The first four used a 6,000 Volt three phase electric system using two overhead wires and the rail as conductors. Power was taken from the overhead wires by means of trolley poles. With the opening of the New Cascade Tunnel and the enlargement of the electrified district a switch was made to a single phase 11,000 Volt system. Power was now taken from a single overhead wire by using pantographs, making for a less troublesome layout of the catenary system.

Sadly, the location of the LIVE connections between these locos meant that a few engineers/firemen/hostlers were electrocuted by the extremely high voltages involved - simply holding the connector and putting your foot near the ground was enough to get you fried with the voltages we are talking about here. They quickly learned NOT to drag a foot when getting off a loco holding the connector - you had to jump clear off the steps or you’d fry and die.

The answer was to make the connections as far away from the ground as possible - hence the over-cab spikes.

Hey, why am I telling you all this? You’re the American!!! You should be telling ME!

[Hope this helps ;)]

tac

tac said:
The answer was to make the connections as far away from the ground as possible - hence the over-cab spikes.
Terry, that is what they want you to believe, that is what they told the yardmaster. Actually, they were used for locomotive jousting tournaments.
Steve Featherkile said:
tac said:
Terry, that is what they want you to believe, that is what they told the yardmaster. Actually, they were used for locomotive jousting tournaments.
Well, that sounds a LOT more feasible than those ridiculous electrocution stories told to me by two old engineers off the GN...

Musta thort 'cos I wuz forrin I was also stoopid.

Thanx for putting me right there, Steve. :wink:

ta

Terry,
Those old GN engineers all went through the tunnel one too many times. Diseasal fumes will do that to the mind… :smiley:

Dear Tac,

Let’s see if I have this right: It’s a high housing for MU control cables between lashed up units, and the cables still needed to be connected by hand. Correct?

Curiously,

Joe Satnik

Joe Satnik said:
Dear Tac, Let's see if I have this right: It's a high housing for MU control cables between lashed up units, and the cables still needed to be connected by hand. Correct?

Curiously,

Joe Satnik

Yessir.

tac