Large Scale Central

Corodao & Southern Train - Info? Freights? COaches?

I just found this nice little Aster C&S Mogul #22 in an estate sale. (Don’t know why they always seem to end up in my lap.)

It’s the same prototype as the ubiquitous LGB 2-6-0, but this looks a lot different, being made from metal by Aster, and also as a live steamer.
When visiting a steam-up, it is always good to have a small train - 2 or 3 freights and a caboose, or 2 or 3 coaches.

The loco is 1:20.3, so it would be dwarfed by proper 1:20.3 (Fn3) rolling stock. I would think this is an opportunity to acquire some (cheap) LGB or Bachmann or similar stock. What I am finding is that there are lots of freight cars labelled Colorado & Southern, but very few are realistic. USA Trains seems to slap Colorado & Southern on lots of its 1/29th stock - and although I appreciate it is actually the same size as a Bachmann Big Hauler boxcar, the details are smaller and I think the 1:22.5 stuff is more realistic, and probably less expensive.

Coaches, on the other hand, while there are plenty in 1:22.5, they are all shrunk from prototype size. I’m familiar with the LGB coaches, which seem to be similar to Bachmann but maybe not so short? And the Piko ones seem even shorter.

I guess what started it was my LGB-derived Mason/Mogul, which looks good with a few LGB+Bachmann freights.

I also found some DSP&PRR coaches on Jack’s shelves.

(That last one should have been in the “Spring Photos” thread?)

So what does anyone suggest? Are Colorado & Southern (authentic) freight cars freely available? How about coaches?

Looks great !

USA Trains seems to slap Colorado & Southern on lots of its 1/29th stock - and although I appreciate it is actually the same size as a Bachmann Big Hauler boxcar, the details are smaller and I think the 1:22.5 stuff is more realistic, and probably less expensive.

After some casual research (if anyone cares) I am starting to understand that the Colorado & Southern was a huge Class 1 (std gauge) carrier from 1898 to 1908, with a few narrow gauge subsidiaries.

From Wikipedia: The narrow gauge had four distinct lines: the Platte Canyon Line from Denver, Colorado to Como, Colorado, the Gunnison Line from Como to Gunnison, Colorado via Alpine Tunnel, Highline between Como and Leadville, Colorado, and the Clear Creek line from Denver to Silver Plume, Colorado.

Also from wikipedia*: The Denver, South Park, and Pacific Railroad (later called the Denver, Leadville and Gunnison Railway) . . .*

No wonder I am confused by all the 1/29th C&S boxcars!

Pete Thornton said:

The loco is 1:20.3, so it would be dwarfed by proper 1:20.3 (Fn3) rolling stock.

Am a bit short of suggestions but can comment that Moguls sometimes looking small, or at least small-ish, compared to the cars is prototypical.

For instance, the Canadian one pictured here, https://www.trains.com/ctr/railroads/locomotives/steam-locomotive-profile-2-6-0-mogul/

The loco is 1:20.3, so it would be dwarfed by proper 1:20.3 (Fn3) rolling stock. I would think this is an opportunity to acquire some (cheap) LGB or Bachmann or similar stock.

Oops. It clearly states on the specs it is 1:22.5, so it will definitely look small. However, some locos were small.

I did borrow some cars for when I get it going - a C&S flat and a reefer, plus a Florence & Cripple Creek boxcar and a USAT Bear Whiz beer refrigerator car from Colorado. Pics at the weekend when I (hope) get to run it.