Large Scale Central

GP38-2 Build

Well Guys, I think this is the next build I’m going to bore you with. I picked up a gutted GP38-2, so the long hood can replace the missing hood on my GP40. This should be another fairly easy project.

Shane

I’ve been in a bit of a modeling funk lately and really want to get back to kitbashing, but I keep telling myself to finish my track work and the decoder installs first before I got all out with super detailing my locomotives.

Shane,

Something kind of like this S.P. Gp38-2. Aristo GP40 chassis with USA GP38 long hood. I had the chassis leftover from a SD40 build using a SD45 chassis and the GP40 long hood.

Craig, I know the feeling. Too little time for too much hobby. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Paul, yes, exactly. Tonight, I almost have the long hood fit. Just a little more sanding to bring it tight to the cab. I just noticed that your nose light is positioned just like my IC unit. They sit about 25-30% lower then my CN units.

Shane,

This series of SP GP38-2’s, I believe about ten of them, are a little different then most SP units. Headlights, no plows etc. They were part of a cancelled order from another railroad that SP then purchased. I chose this roadnumber to model just because they were a little different then other SP units. I could look up their origins if anyone is interested.

That’s interesting Paul. One thing I really enjoy about the old CN fleet is that most of it is custom. Your SP seems to share that aspect.

When I chose my IC unit, I needed one with DB and 3129 was the only one. It was also an oddball with the low headlight, and an “L” shaped engineer’s window. ( When it got CN paint, the “L” window was replaced with two standard windows. )

We have one assigned to Edmonton, the 3140, which is still in IC paint. It’s a downgraded GP60 with the GP40 style DB. It would be a good project using the new AML GP60 when it is released. It’s listed in the CN fleet summary as a GP40-3.

Well, it rained yesterday, which allowed me to complete the cab. Received orange paint this morning. Projects go much faster when you don’t have to build custom cabs. :slight_smile:

You can tell this is an old unit by the orange roof. The ugly paint will also be a clue…oh wait…you’ll have to stay tuned for that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Shane

A little progress for Sean. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Weathering looks great!

Shane careful now… Oh the saying is … careful Sean

You’ve done good …

Thanks Guys. Glad you’re liking it. The long hood is now wearing zebra stripes, and I’ve started weathering.

Well, I’ve made more progress on the weathering. Base is painted. Fuel tank is built and mounted. Air reservoirs are made, but still need mounting.

Battery and RailPro are here. Still waiting on LED’s.

Last night I got the RailPro installed and basic electronics wired. Still needs lights. The top is still missing some small details, but I think the painting is pretty much complete.

Time to tear it apart, paint the trucks, and complete the base details.

Shane

You have done a great job capturing the units age

Thanks Sean.

…In your face. :stuck_out_tongue: Front and rear complete. Still waiting on LEDs for steps.

Shane Stewart said:

Thanks Sean.

…In your face. :stuck_out_tongue: Front and rear complete. Still waiting on LEDs for steps.

Does the coupler trip pin chain come with the stanchion package ?

(https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

As always …excellent work!!

Thanks Rooster.

I set them aside along with the plow grab irons, and well, I can’t find them anywhere. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

Are those Burls couplers?

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Are those Burls couplers?

If they are then what ?

Sean, no they are Kadee 907’s and for locomotives, I cut off the air hose.