Large Scale Central

Various Build Challanges Shown In Place

Last Sunday (June 27) I had open house for the Orange County Garden Railway Society and neighborhood with ~80 people in attendance over a period of about 3 hours. Mick and Liz Spilsbury from the Bay Area Garden Railway Society and Carla Breitner from Santa Clarita Valley Garden came down for the showing. They put out the GRNews Newsletter and host the website. I asked Carla for some photos of the old build challanges shown in place because this has never happened.

This first pic is “Willie the Wonder Horse” doing his thing. Some may recall that Willie originally powered the “California Experience” where the challange was to make something “round.”

A couple challanges later we were tasked with using provided ceramic “capstones” in the build. In this case we came up with the Ernest and Julio Gallows and Dunk Tank where the townsfolk take the law into their own hands and throw balls at a target to hang the villains. In this case it was the three brothers in the Taylor Clan trying to “claim jump” the Widow Maker Mine. Note one on the gallows in the blindfold having a last “smoke,” one on the way with the “hoody,” and the third in the cell awaiting his fate. On weekends the local “barmaids” provide fodder for the dunk tank. That’s the engine for the “Low Rider” train getting “tagged” in the foreground.

The most recent MIK’s Challange build was to use a can and we came up with the “Can” that is tipped.

Note the color on the rock from people scraping their trailers/vehicles. (I’m a stickler for extreme detail.)

And it works too.

Great to see the Build Challenge entries in the wild!

My 2020 and 2021 Challenges are developing a nice patina on their tin cans.

Pics this thread has. Maybe the Force just isn’t with your system. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

As usual, GREAT JOB TODD!!! Always glad to see your continued progress on your railroad…

Say “hi” to Linda for us.

Jim and Linda Loudon

Rose City GRS transplants from OCGRS

Jim Loudon said:

As usual, GREAT JOB TODD!!! Always glad to see your continued progress on your railroad…

Say “hi” to Linda for us.

Jim and Linda Loudon

Rose City GRS transplants from OCGRS

Thanks, and I just did.

Todd

Thanks for the pics Todd. Your place must be the talk of the neighborhood for sure!

I’m partial to your one horse loco, always cracks me up. Well, that and the hot tub car. And all the rest.

Cliff Jennings said:

Thanks for the pics Todd. Your place must be the talk of the neighborhood for sure!

I’m partial to your one horse loco, always cracks me up. Well, that and the hot tub car. And all the rest.

Yes, Willie is a Wonder and a crowd pleaser. This video show him demonstrating the One Horse Motive Power for commercial sale

Here he powers “The California Experience.”

Todd, I’m wanting to see Willie’s second video, but I’m not able to play it. The first one is great, love it!

Yeah, for some reason, sometimes it plays and sometimes not. I’ll try again:

https://youtu.be/-bd6Sv-yPlo

Need assistance in removing the round shell of an Aristo Long Vanderbilt tender. Have removed 2 bottom screws and the coal bunker.Located the 6 snaps that hold the round shell to the frame. Cannot determine how to get the shell off

You have built some wild, whacky and very unique builds for the Mik challenge Todd. Nice job.

You have given me a thought about how many of the challenges I have been a part of and the other day I walked around the RR to make a list. I first joined the fun in 2011 which I think was the “Finish Something Already Started” I finished 2 switch houses. The next year was to build something up to a 288sq inch base and I cannot remember what I built and I can’t find photos of it but I know I built something. I do remember that someone built a neat Fireworks stand that year. I hope to put together a video soon of all my builds by taking a ride around the RR on the 2013 entry but that one missing project is driving me nuts.

Todd 2012 was the finish something

2013 sems to have been the gondola package

and 2014 was:

Todd Haskins Entry.
Thanks to Dave Taylor for providing us with the door which kicked off some imaginative, amazing and such varied builds.
My humble entry a 2 bay engine house. Luckily I was able to get out and chip away the ice and get photos before it started to snow again today. With this build I tried a new to me technique using a dado blade in my table saw to create the clapboard siding. It was many cuts to make the 3/8th wide boards but well worth it. Since this building was going to sit on top of my yard bench and far from the moisture of the ground I used backer board for the roof and base, hardboard for the walls, and plastic wood for the foundation. I used a dremel to carve in the rock look and 3 coats of shades of grey paint over black to make it look like stone. Every inch of the building has multiple coats of paint to help keep out water.
I made the roof removable just in case I need to get inside so in doing that I had to give the interior some structure. I will need to build my bench out a bit to accomadate this engine bay and add some track too.

I’m very happy with the way this came out. The total cost was about $26 including some pieces of trim I planned to use but didn’t.

Dave Taylor gave us this Historical list when the 2021 challenge was announced.

2021 Tin can

2020 Chimney Kit

2019 10 year redo Build what you want

2018 2x4

2017 Taylor stones

2016 Taylor Tin Roof Panels

2015 Flat car kit, whimsical theme

2014 Door

2013 Gondola kit or a building

2012 Finish something you already started

2011 Build something up to 288 sq/in base

2010 Build whatever you want

I thought the 2012 challenge was reversed with the 2011 one on his list but who am I to question the Boss? Maybe it is not because I can’t remember what I built. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

well, the cloud did not let my post in. so, again:

from the back of my head, we had TWO challenges in one of the first years.

i think, that was 2011.

edit: no, it was in 2010. one called new years challenge during the first two weeks of january, the other, called challenge 2, in feruary and/or march.