Large Scale Central

Switchcrafters Closed

Just went to the switchcrafters site looking for track spikes and found this on the home page.

http://www.switchcrafters.com/

Sad to see Bruce close up shop.

May not have fully closed up shop just yet, I just placed an order for track spikes and he filled it.

But he might just be running stock down.

Sad, sooner or later the age attrition is going to get all of these longtime suppliers unless they can find someone to takeover the business.

Vic Smith said:

Sad, sooner or later the age attrition is going to get all of these longtime suppliers unless they can find someone to takeover the business.

Hard to replace an “original”! I’m not sure how anybody starts a business, ever.

Perhaps losing the rail extruder (not a piece of hardware but a supplier??) has made a big difference to keep carrying on.

What’s a switch?

Rooster said:

What’s a switch?

Eh…what’s a rooster?

“Eh…what’s a rooster?”

Bruce;

It can be a male chicken with all his “parts.” (Otherwise, I think, he gets called a “capon.”) AND it is also the stout pole that loggers fasten between two logging disconnect trucks to keep them a stable distance apart. I looked in Webster’s, but other than a very old mascot for the Democratic Party, that is it!

Regards, David Meashey

Edited for spelling correction.

This is sad. I have never bought from them as I went Llagas and they offer what I need for track and track laying. But I know that Switchcrafters has been a mainstay. While a lot of things can be made by hand or 3D printing there are somethings a guy just needs like rails, points, spikes etc. to bad another shop goes down.

Devon Sinsley said:

This is sad. I have never bought from them as I went Llagas and they offer what I need for track and track laying. But I know that Switchcrafters has been a mainstay. While a lot of things can be made by hand or 3D printing there are somethings a guy just needs like rails, points, spikes etc. to bad another shop goes down.

It’s always sad, but it sure does happen. If you have a supplier that meets YOUR needs, I would just encourage you to keep using that vendor - that way, when somebody gets too old to do it anymore, at least there are buyers!

I used to buy all my rail from him and Turnout part, I have had to switch over to Micro Engineering and Garden Railway Supply to get what I need for my basic track work. Turnout parts and tie plates I now get from LLagas Creek and Peco. I hate it when we loose a great supplier. But I am glad that some of the old stand bys are getting picked up by others. Like NWSL and Hartford Products. Just wish someone would have stepped up and bough floquil and keep it going.

Dan

Colorado and Rio Grand Southern

http://www.danstrains.net