Large Scale Central

NVRY MOW work

What started as “I have to fix some issues” has turned into “the RR is getting a major rebuild”. The whole benchwork for Oakhill was undermined by woodchucks digging some holes, caving in on the corners, with no way to repair without taking it apart. Then, some animal is digging behind two of the walls for the big trestle, collapsing them, and also the wall by Marconi Macaroni, and something (again) ruined/bent a bunch of track around Pearce and the downhill cut.

I had some decisions to make. I have decided to remove the entire Oakhill branch and benchwork, remove Pearce and Majestic, and reroute the bridge over Majestic to make a smaller loop connecting to Williamsport. Im not quite sure what will happen to Steppes. It was either that, or just tear the RR up completely, and I’m not quite there yet. Here’s where things stand today. First, some damage photos:

And progress on removing and rebuilding:

Build Bob RR 2.0 ?

Party with the Govners blessing?

So you want to live out in the country, do ya?..(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Wow, you weren’t kidding when you said you had some animal damage. I get the occasional groundhog burrowing under mine, and chewing on the irrigation lines, but a shot or 2 with the pellet rifle gets rid of them.

I had some deer on top the layout, but all they damaged were some plants. They were considerate enough to avoid the track.

Maybe instead of an Ops session, you could plan a work session… Again…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Ouch!!!

How about a combined work session AND ops?

test the track as you go

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Bruce Chandler said:

Ouch!!!

Don’t invite Jon and Ken as the famous brick abutment is sitting on the bridge this time!

Bruce Chandler said:

Ouch!!!

I’m with Bruce, no masks as of Sat. in Ma.

have a good holiday Richard

Rooster said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Ouch!!!

Don’t invite Jon and Ken as the famous brick abutment is sitting on the bridge this time!

Good eye(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Wow! This makes our issues look like small potatoes!

This past winter seams to have been particularly hard on our Outdoor railroads. I spent a fair amount of time trying to re level and align parts of my railroad this spring, so I could get some fresh photos for an event coming up in October this year. most recently I have removed my first bridge (44A) into the garage for some much needed repairs from the weed wacker damage and weather related deterioration. beyond that I can see that the section adjacent to it needs a full rebuild as well.

Last year I had some critter infiltration as well, though not directly under the railroad, had a skunk decide to build its home under my barn. found it one morning looking out my bedroom window. so I flooded the burrow, and after a while the skunk decided the better of it and left. I followed up by filling back in as best as I could and placed a bigger rock over the site. there was an attempt to get back in but the big rock foiled the attempt, and I have not seen again.

AL P.

Slow work, but some progress between house projects. Probably will have the loop done by the end of this weekend.

Wow. That looks like some drastic changes! (Isn’t it about time for us to tramp through your house again? Of course, cooler weather would be appreciated. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif))

Bruce Chandler said:

Wow. That looks like some drastic changes! (Isn’t it about time for us to tramp through your house again? Of course, cooler weather would be appreciated. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif))

Yup. Over the last three or four years I was spending more time with maintenance and rebuilding than I was running trains, so I needed to get that under control. Trimmed two towns off the RR. Not sure where the mine from Majestic is going to live now, but that’s not a priority. Getting the RR running is. I’m rebuilding the RR to be able to run two trains, not four, so things will be less chaotic.

I’m thinking I might be ready sometime mid-September to have a limited group of people over. We have a bunch of projects going on with the house, too, so that’s taking a bunch of time.

A bit of work this morning before the 95f temperatures prevent MOW work for the next week or so.

The new Williamsport is taking shape. Benchwork is done, except a restaining of it. Track is approximate layout.

And the approach from the bridge

So, what towns will remain?

Naturally, I really like the idea of two trains. What else is changing?

Bruce Chandler said:

Both yards (Burke and Franklin Falls), Williamsport, and Dead Rooster Gulch. And probably the track around Steppes will stay with the two industries, if I can rework it to have a runaround.

Bob McCown said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Both yards (Burke and Franklin Falls), Williamsport, and Dead Rooster Gulch. And probably the track around Steppes will stay with the two industries, if I can rework it to have a runaround.

Sounds interesting for sure!

Any chance of ops this year? (Has Stan got sessions going?)

Bruce Chandler said:

Bob McCown said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Sounds like a good choice. I suspect that might better reflect what is actually happening with your visitors! (It does seem like people always want to get together and chat about everything that has happened since the last session, so maybe only two trains is a very good decision!). I know that I just hate waiting around - I would MUCH rather socialize than start a train only to WAIT!.

Bruce,

Stan has been doing some operations, lots of maintance and upgrades as well tentative upcoming dates are July 17th, Aug. 21st, Sept. 11, Oct. 9&11 as part of mill city tour.

the June session was used to get primarily as maintenance and getting cars out to industries.

my railroad is close to being back together again some major rebuilding of bridge 44a and the section beyond it that had serious failure. also working on the last bridge 45-B

Bruce Chandler said:

Bob McCown said:

Bruce Chandler said:

I might possibly have a TrainOps in September. Stan has his ops going again, like Al said, but I haven’t been over to see things yet. Looks like lots of improvements.