Large Scale Central

Locomotive Haul - modded LGB

I had nothing to do for a few weeks and two locos caught my eye. The first is an electric 2-6-2+2-6-2 Garratt, made from an LGB 2085D Mallet, with extra pilot trucks and a superstructure. I haven’t really had time to investigate it properly - only unpacked it this morning.

The other is another Mason Bogie (I already own a Rishon version,) this time made from an LGB 2018D DSP&P Mogul. I have never owned an LGB mogul, so this should be interesting.

Got some interesting power there.
I’m curious about #9’s tender truck, is it a kitbash, and if so, how is it constructed?

I’m curious about #9’s tender truck, is it a kitbash, and if so, how is it constructed?

Well, it is still on the way from the UK. But David Fletcher, who organized the Mylargescale “Masterclass” to make some of these, confirmed my nagging suspicion that it was built around 2005, [maybe] and the rear truck is an amalgamation of the 2x 2 axle trucks of a standard LGB mogul tender.

Stay tuned - more pics when it arrives.

Pete,

Those are amazing finds! I marvel at the skill and the will to cut into expensive LGB equipment like this to create custom models like this! I am looking forward for your analysis of the “how” and “whats” of these beasts!

Eric

Both are great models.

Eric, I too, was a little shy about bashing up my LGB locos. But once I decided to do it. I’m glad I did.

You end up with a “one of”, instead of one of the clones that everyone else has.

New LGB can be expensive, however, I have found LGB engines at some shows at great prices. One was a yellow mogul repaint that was hardly run for $100.00. Another was the 2090 for $60 with factory DCC, and the American 2-4-0 set just last year (engine, 2 cars, power pack) for $100 and had DCC but no sound. There are many shows available to me where I live and other sources also.

John Bouck said:

Eric, I too, was a little shy about bashing up my LGB locos. But once I decided to do it. I’m glad I did.

You end up with a “one of”, instead of one of the clones that everyone else has.

Even though the topic here is LGB kitbashes & I have no LGB, I had that same feeling about my Bachmann Big Hauler 4-6-0s & HLW 4-4-0 and 2-4-4.
They were quite expensive relative to my life and income.

Yes, there is great satisfaction in making your locomotive ‘successfully personalized’ (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

there is great satisfaction in making your locomotive 'successfully personalized

I would have to agree.

If we have any Garratt experts around, I am trying to find a “plausible” prototype. It looks almost 1:19th or 1:20th, which would make it a narrow gauge (3’ or maybe 3’ 6" Cape Gauge?)

And how do I paint LGB wheels black??

And how do I paint LGB wheels black??

We’ve had good luck using Rustoleum black primer on LGB plastic.

Eric

Well, I put both ends on rollers (separately - I only have 4 pairs) and tested that they run. Then I started looking inside, and the first thing to fix is the wire to the headlight. I inserted a plug so I can remove the top and play with the bottom/frame. Very messy wiring right over a metal weight - sheesh.

There are a lot of bits that are unglued (like the headlight!) I think I need some good ABS cement.

Pete Thornton said:

Very messy wiring right over a metal weight

There are a lot of bits that are unglued (like the headlight!) I think I need some good ABS cement.

Can hear the builder now, “I’m an artist, not a technician!” (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)(https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

For ABS plastic I’ve had good luck with Plastruct’s old classics.

Also, Tamiya’s liquid cement in squat hexagonal 20cc bottle with orange label. Item number 87012.

Though bottle and website say for styrene, people, including me, have had fine success using it on Pegasus Hobbies’ spacecraft model kits molded in ABS.
It smells different from Testors and Plastruct cements, actually reminiscent of stick and tissue airplane dope.

Pete Thornton said:

I had nothing to do for a few weeks and two locos caught my eye. The first is an electric 2-6-2+2-6-2 Garratt, made from an LGB 2085D Mallet, with extra pilot trucks and a superstructure. I haven’t really had time to investigate it properly - only unpacked it this morning.

Pete the Garratt is great looking along with the 3018 mason bogie, are either articulated? mad my mason bogie from Lionel Cab Parts and PVC tube also articulated a spreewald 2074 chassis and it take 1100 curves easliy without any rear overhang, Bill

The other is another Mason Bogie (I already own a Rishon version,) this time made from an LGB 2018D DSP&P Mogul. I have never owned an LGB mogul, so this should be interesting.

the 3018 mason bogie, are either articulated? mad my mason bogie from Lionel Cab Parts and PVC tube also articulated a spreewald 2074 chassis and it take 1100 curves easliy without any rear overhang

Bill, both locos are articulated, though I did have to ask the seller about the Mason Bogie. I looked at yours to see how your cab was done, as my Mason seems to have a very nice cab. Here’s a pic of the articulation.

Can hear the builder now, “I’m an artist, not a technician!”

Too true. There are a lot of bits that aren’t attached now, if they ever were. The cab is held together (not) with scotch tape.

The cab looks nothing like the cab on the Mallet, which suggests the builder may have bought the power trucks but not the rest.

In my stash was a tube of plastic model cement and that seems to work fine - the headlights and the water tank covers/hatches are now in place. I also opened up the back unit (coal/water) and found a large, loose pile of weights.

I get the impression the weights may have been taped down at some point. The front unit weight has a screw, so I’ll have to do something similar here. I also found a nice bit of filler for the coal with lumps of the stuff falling on to the footplate.

I am leaning towards this being a ‘cape gauge’ (3’ 6") S.A.R. loco. There’s something similar preserved on the Puffing Billy line in Australia, though that is 2’ 6" gauge:

Thanks for the forensics. I am wondering if this was a project that someone never quite finished based.

• Eric

Pete Thornton said:

the 3018 mason bogie, are either articulated? mad my mason bogie from Lionel Cab Parts and PVC tube also articulated a spreewald 2074 chassis and it take 1100 curves easliy without any rear overhang

Bill, both locos are articulated, though I did have to ask the seller about the Mason Bogie. I looked at yours to see how your cab was done, as my Mason seems to have a very nice cab. Here’s a pic of the articulation.

Pete. Yes both have the custom fancy look wood cab look only difference is the drive as I used a spreewald unit as wheels were more correct to scale on the model I copied and the stack is different plus I added the forward reverse unit, the mogul makes a fine looking unit, BB

more correct to scale on the model

Ah well, you tried to make a model. Mine is just a close approximation! Just look at the length of the tender.

I have a proper scale model, so when it arrives on Monday I will put the 2 together and shoot a pic.

I took the Garratt weights apart and found some hand-cut lead sheet; probably window flashing. The pieces had holes in then, so I don’t know why they weren’t screwed in. They are now. The bottom 4 pieces are screwed in to the old truck pivot (I think) and the others (bottom right) are now screwed in to the bottom ones.

Eric Mueller said:

Thanks for the forensics. I am wondering if this was a project that someone never quite finished based.

• Eric

Given that it has absolutely no decals, I suspect so. Maybe old age caught up with the builder, as the tape is very old and decayed. (I emailed Stan to see what he has.)

Well, Jerry came up with a plausible prototype, even though this one is a 4-8-2+2-8-4.

(https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/articulateds/pics/garratt09031.jpg)https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/articulateds/pics/garratt09031.jpg