Large Scale Central

1:24 hand operated hoist

So I just had to share. I am pretty proud of this. This is the first more or less complex thing I have drawn up in CAD and printed on my new 3D printer. It will be for an eventual Scott Ballast Spreader that I have copied the patent files and scaled out. But for now I just wanted to see if I could pull it off. And a little hand hoist like this can be used lots of places so what the heck.

I used to think 3D printing was cheating. But it is in a lot of ways harder and it gives you an endless supply of detail parts at your disposal if you learn CAD.

Devon, you’ve come so far so fast on the 3D CAD and printing, you sure should be proud!

Your winch is great, and I’m looking forward to seeing it on your spreader!

Devon Sinsley said:

So I just had to share. I am pretty proud of this. This is the first more or less complex thing I have drawn up in CAD and printed on my new 3D printer. It will be for an eventual Scott Ballast Spreader that I have copied the patent files and scaled out. But for now I just wanted to see if I could pull it off. And a little hand hoist like this can be used lots of places so what the heck.

I used to think 3D printing was cheating. But it is in a lot of ways harder and it gives you an endless supply of detail parts at your disposal if you learn CAD.

That looks great!

I’ve come to the conclusion that people that think 3D printing is somehow cheating don’t know anything about 3D printing. I think they believe that there’s a huge library of everything you want and you just push a button. Its not even close to that. Even with parts that I find online, I spend a few hours fiddling with until I get it how I want it. And I get a much better part than I would have if I built it out of styrene or wood.

Very impressive, Devon. Looks great.

From my point of view, 3D printing is just another way to make something. Some folks are real good with a knife and a block of wood, others are good at software; neither one is cheating and both require skill to make a part that looks right. Different skills for sure, but ones you’re typically not born with.

Great job, Devon. If you haven’t figured it our yet, the design part is addicting, very addicting. I find myself looking for things to design just to get my fix (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Purchasing detail parts is fine but designing and 3D printing is cheating? That dog don’t hunt in my book.

Bob McCown said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that people that think 3D printing is somehow cheating don’t know anything about 3D printing.

I fully admit I was a member of this club. As a guy who prided myself on gluing bits and pieces together I thought 3D printing was some magical thing you just hit print and out came your dreams. Then I was challenged to try designing something and was far more frustrated. It can take as long or longer to design what you are after. But at the end of the day you do it once. I have completely changed my opinion and this WILL be the way our hobby continues, in my humble opinion.

Dan Hilyer said:

Great job, Devon. If you haven’t figured it our yet, the design part is addicting, very addicting. I find myself looking for things to design just to get my fix (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Purchasing detail parts is fine but designing and 3D printing is cheating? That dog don’t hunt in my book.

Dan,

I should have realized how much i would enjoy it. As a scratch build modeler and a wood worker that seldom works from formal plans I have always loved taking something in my brain to a tangible thing I can hold. I used to (and still will) do it with wood and styrene. Now I have just added another element. Where I really have leaned an appreciation for it is you still have to “build” it one piece at a time and assemble it. And sometimes it doesn’t work and you have to go back and make it better. There really is little difference. And as fr buying detailing parts, whats the difference if you buy it or print it.

And yes its addicting and actually pretty relaxing to just design stuff. now that I am over the major learning curve and can do or figure out how to do most of what I want to do I am getting fairly quick at the process. My printer has seen very little down time since I got it to actually print. I think I am on my fourth jug of resin already.

Devon,

BRAVO ZULU on a really neat and versatile part! Your efforts are another shove pushing me towards considering purchasing a 3D printer…I have found my happy place for now with foam and craftsticks, but little parts like this or just doors and windows would elevate our builds without sacrificing their core spontaneity. For me, the only drawback would be sitting at a computer instead of outside on the lanai.

Eric

Eric Mueller said: For me, the only drawback would be sitting at a computer instead of outside on the lanai.

That’s why winter was invented…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ken Brunt said:

Eric Mueller said: For me, the only drawback would be sitting at a computer instead of outside on the lanai.

That’s why winter was invented…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

They don’t believe in winter in Hawaii…

sitting at a computer instead of outside on the lanai.

Computers work on the Lanai, too. That’s where I go when someone is occupying my workshop/office/spare bedroom.