Forum Sponsorsss


Forums Modeling Rolling stock
  • Topic: 3d printed Centerbeam flat

    Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 27, 2021 1:05 AM EDT
      • Port Orchard, Washington
         
      • Posts
        2,699
      • Thanks
        123
      • Thanked
        472

      If you're serious Dan, I've got a collection of detail shots of one. A lot of details...

       

      And some drawings I found in a RMC issue...

       

      The only big issues I see is that two doors are slightly bigger than the other two. I forget what they are off the top of my head but I can dig that info up. 

       

      The ends are fairly simple and similar in design to the centerbeam style. 

       

       

      I've wanted one of these cars for along time but just never took the time to sit down and CAD it up. I figured that would be one of those after I get the layout built projects in 5 years.

    • April 27, 2021 8:35 PM EDT

      •  
      • Posts
        257
      • Thanks
        3
      • Thanked
        43

      I just ordered one.

       

      thank you for sharing this amazing attention to detail

       

    • April 28, 2021 12:15 AM EDT
      • West Glocester, Rhode Island
         
      • Posts
        653
      • Thanks
        231
      • Thanked
        298

      Craig Townsend said:

      If you're serious Dan, I've got a collection of detail shots of one. A lot of details...

      I'm trying not to start new projects but....  pictures may inspire me. 

      And some drawings I found in a RMC issue...

      I have that issue somewhere.

      The only big issues I see is that two doors are slightly bigger than the other two. I forget what they are off the top of my head but I can dig that info up. 

      Only takes a few mins to change the size of a door.  I wonder which car you mean?  It seems there were a few variants but I'm sure the doors are the same size on many of them.  However, I have a Walthers HO one that has 3 12.5' doors and the rightmost one is a foot wider.

      The ends are fairly simple and similar in design to the centerbeam style. 

      I've wanted one of these cars for along time but just never took the time to sit down and CAD it up. I figured that would be one of those after I get the layout built projects in 5 years.

      Don't know when I'll get to it but probably under 5 years 

       

      ____________________________________

      Thingiverse Icon Instagram Icon

    • April 28, 2021 9:00 AM EDT
      • romeoville, illinois
         
      • Posts
        776
      • Thanks
        47
      • Thanked
        296

       Nice model of a modern centerbeam flatcar . 3 D printing is the way to go for sure if you want alot of these cars . Saves alot of construction time . I just wanted to add that the 73 foot length refers to the distance between the bulkheads . The overall length of the car is 79 feet 8 inches . I just finished a second opera window centerbeam and only have the tiedown cables to add . I make mine from .019 brass wire .

    • April 28, 2021 3:18 PM EDT
      • West Glocester, Rhode Island
         
      • Posts
        653
      • Thanks
        231
      • Thanked
        298

      mike dorsch said:

       Nice model of a modern centerbeam flatcar . 3 D printing is the way to go for sure if you want alot of these cars . Saves alot of construction time . I just wanted to add that the 73 foot length refers to the distance between the bulkheads . The overall length of the car is 79 feet 8 inches . I just finished a second opera window centerbeam and only have the tiedown cables to add . I make mine from .019 brass wire .

      Thanks Mike!  3d printing the details is certainly a time saver.  I used this BNSF Car as the primary reference when designing the components of this car.  I tend to model in the way USA Trains and Aristo-Craft does - Not true to scale but a representation.  I just ordered some .5mm Waxed cord at the suggestion of someone on FB.  I like the look of the stranded picture hanging wire to represent the stranded cables but even at .8mm it's tough to wrap around the ratchets.

       

      ____________________________________

      Thingiverse Icon Instagram Icon

    • April 28, 2021 5:24 PM EDT
      • romeoville, illinois
         
      • Posts
        776
      • Thanks
        47
      • Thanked
        296

        I like the style of the all truss centerbeams. The one's I did were of the older variety . If I do anymore of these i'm thinking of making them with a permanent load . I also try to duplicate USA's level of detail when I build something , I know what you mean . Your photo's here are really nice and I was wondering what photo sharing service do you use to post here. Since our freight shed went away I can't post photo's.

      This post was edited by mike dorsch at April 29, 2021 11:02 PM EDT
    • April 28, 2021 7:02 PM EDT
      • West Glocester, Rhode Island
         
      • Posts
        653
      • Thanks
        231
      • Thanked
        298

      mike dorsch said:

        I like the style of the all truss centerbeams. The one's I did were of the older variety . If I do anymore of these i'm thinking of making them with a permanent load . I also try to duplicate USA's level of detail when I build something , I know what you mean . Your photo's here are really nice and I was wondering what photo sharing service do you use to post here. Since our freight shed went away I can't post photo's.

      I was thinking of just printing the tops of the struts for cars that are loaded as there's no need for detail you can't see!   All the files we uploaded to my freight shed.  Mine has not gone away.

      ____________________________________

      Thingiverse Icon Instagram Icon

    • April 29, 2021 7:17 PM EDT
      • South Central , PA
         
      • Posts
        15,376
      • Thanks
        3,346
      • Thanked
        1,888

      Dan Gilchrist said:  there's no need for detail you can't see! 

       

       

      Amen

Forums Modeling Rolling stock

    Icon Legend

  • Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google