Large Scale Central

New Batteries 20v 4.0AH

Are these batteries a go for our battery powered loco’s, what do you think, is the 20volts too much, or is it doable. I have a Dewalt 20v drill and was needing another battery and this popped up when I typed in in on the search. https://www.batteriesup.com/products/for-dewalt-20v-battery-replacement-dcb200-4-0ah-li-ion-2-pack?variant=37750307815615&msclkid=d060ef6853a015aa4c318f5194a14274&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-2020.10.26&utm_term=4588262024034126&utm_content=Ad%20group%20%231

trainman

John,

20 volts is perfectly doable. I use NiMH batteries at a posted voltage of 19.2vdc, but they charge to about 21.1vdc. I have been using this voltage in 8 different locos running Revolution R/C for years and it works perfectly.

Thanks Joe, I think I will order these batteries as I do need some replacements for my Dewalt 20v drill, I can experiment with them if I get to that point on my battery powered loco, etc.

trainman

All I will say in regard to inexpensive LiIon batteries: You get what you pay for.

Quality made batteries using top of the line cells will pay for themselves in the long run. I gave up on the cheap stuff years ago.

I have a pair of 9.6 volt NiMH batteries and a charger that someone had given me and had been sitting in the drawer for more years than I can remember. The other day I tried to charge them up for use with the new track cleaner, and BION, they charged up fine and held voltage. I was very impressed and started looking for more online. But NiMH seems to be a dying technology and these are now hard to find relative to lithium ion.