Large Scale Central

Lionel Ready to Play Streamliner bash

Just a quick little video of a recent project. I took a Lionel Ready to Play but not G gauge set, narrowed up the wheels to 45mm, I bought one car super-cheap to experiment, the rest came after #1 was successful. I used a Aristo centercab brick and added a styrene/balsa/styrene-covered nosepiece for the “engine” its very much based on the early Lionel O scale streamliner from the 1930s. I like the early streamliner vibe captured with it.

FYI I did try to modify the F3, but while the front truck can be narrowed, the rear is 2-3mm too wide and will need serious surgery to narrow the plastic frame box.

https://youtube.com/shorts/u8ry5HqgqmQ?feature=share

Vic,

I love this. It hits that spot between toy and model than manufacturers seem to miss, especially since HLW shuttered its shops, and it demonstrates the ar of the possible. 2021 and the “Rehabilitation of the Missile Sponges” is coming to the shops here, and this is just the shot of inspiration I need to commit to the projects!

Eric

Vic Smith said:

Just a quick little video of a recent project. I took a Lionel Ready to Play but not G gauge set, narrowed up the wheels to 45mm, I bought one car super-cheap to experiment, the rest came after #1 was successful. I used a Aristo centercab brick and added a styrene/balsa/styrene-covered nosepiece for the “engine” its very much based on the early Lionel O scale streamliner from the 1930s. I like the early streamliner vibe captured with it.

FYI I did try to modify the F3, but while the front truck can be narrowed, the rear is 2-3mm too wide and will need serious surgery to narrow the plastic frame box.

Nice one Vic, and thanks Joe I wasn’t seeing a link in Vic’s original post just a blank space.