Large Scale Central

Best saw for cutting brass track

What do you use to cut track to length? I will be using LGB and Proline 332 brass track. Hacksaw? Anything used to keep the rail in place? I want a nice clean cut.

i mark them with a feltmarker, cut them with a hacksaw, about a mm too long, while holding them down with the other hand onto a piece of wood.

then i straighten the cut with a file.

Dremel with a carbide blade. Works to clean up the ends too.

Makita 4" angle grinder with a metal cutting blade, marked with a permanent marker, held by hand.

A tool most should have…

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html

GAP said:

Makita 4" angle grinder with a metal cutting blade, marked with a permanent marker, held by hand.

Exactly my procedure also.

I love Harbor Freight. I will have to look out for one of their coupons. They are building one in my town. Yay!

All I have ever used is a rotary tool or small grinder. Hacksaw is too much effort if you are doing a lot of it.

Derailed said:

I love Harbor Freight. I will have to look out for one of their coupons. They are building one in my town. Yay!

You have to go slow and bite a little@ a time…you might have to remove the miter gauge, prop the section of track to some what level …it does ok , just clean it up…

Zona hobby saw

My 14" delta band saw is quick, easy and controllable…just have to carry the victim to it…if the victim wants to stay put i use one of those mini hacksaws. I dont worry about perfect cuts…what for? They dont show. A little space between rail ends is reccomended

Vibrating multi tool, I have both corded and battery powered ones. Take it to the track and goes through like butter.

Jerry

I have used a Dremel with the right angle drive added to get straight cuts. I also like Sean use the Mini chop saw. I still have the original blade in the chop saw and have made over 100 cuts of brass rail.

Jerry Bohlander said:

Vibrating multi tool, I have both corded and battery powered ones. Take it to the track and goes through like butter.

Jerry

Am I the only one disturbed by this response or am I just disturbed ?

Rooster said:

Jerry Bohlander said:

Jerry

Am I the only one disturbed by this response or am I just disturbed ?

ROTFLMFAO Think of how disturbed you have to be to even ask that question!!!

The man is looking for CLEAN cut correct ?

Preferably.

Derailed said:

Preferably.

The Atlas rail saw was the cleanest hand cut saw ever used IMO (one rail at at a time) . Kinda like shaving …depends on how clean a shave you are after?

Thank you. I will have to cut a bunch. Basically, If I can make multiple short sections into one bigger one by cutting down straights, I’m going to do it to reduce rail gaps. And I have a bunch of odd length sections. Does the Harbor Freight saw cut cleanly? I will be driving by a HF next week so might pick one up then.

It will do ok …but you have to be patient and cut a little @ a time it will bog or bind.

I just lower it down and take a quick cut etc…

Cutting is easier than a dremel which will want ro run away … (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)