Large Scale Central

Freight sheds

Went to my freight shed today to load a pic, now that I can do it successfully.

Saw this announcement :

Please note that as of 11/1/2020, LSC is no longer supporting or backing up Freight Sheds, and suggests you use one of the many photo sharing sites instead.

Yep, I mentioned that in another thread a couple of months ago. It’s strictly a support and cost thing for me. The photo package for this forum software, despite all its advertising, is NOT integrated with the forums themselves, and they make in incredibly hard to post photos (as witnessed in countless threads). Its much easier to use something like IMGUR.

oh…Darn I didn’t know this. Guess we lost all of our pic. there to that we saved there for years to use on upcoming post. Thats where our logo and etc was saved. Just like My large scale and photo bucket did to us… darn. To bad we couldn’t of moved it to new frt. shed. Guess getting to old here to keep up. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)sniff

Thanks Bob! I don’t blame you one bit. I don’t know a damn thing about hosting and such, but it may be for the best to let some other service do it.

Noel Wilson said:

oh…Darn I didn’t know this. Guess we lost all of our pic. there to that we saved there for years to use on upcoming post. Thats where our logo and etc was saved. Just like My large scale and photo bucket did to us… darn. To bad we couldn’t of moved it to new frt. shed. Guess getting to old here to keep up. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)sniff

Noel, I don’t think Bob said you are losing all your pics, or that they won’t continue to show in the existing threads. (So it’s not at all like the great purge at MLS!) He just isn’t backing them up nor adding any features.

Bob - I assume we can continue to use Freight Sheds if we choose to do so?

Yes, you can continue to use the freight shed space, but I would strongly recommend backing the images up yourself. Also, I havent looked to see if the new package will allow me to carry over the same URLs. Which is why Im suggesting using someone else for your file space for images in threads.

Bob McCown said:

Yep, I mentioned that in another thread a couple of months ago. It’s strictly a support and cost thing for me. The photo package for this forum software, despite all its advertising, is NOT integrated with the forums themselves, and they make in incredibly hard to post photos (as witnessed in countless threads). Its much easier to use something like IMGUR.

Totally understandable, Bob.

Will the FS photos still be there, accessible / visible in the threads they’re already planted in?

Cliff Jennings said:

Bob McCown said:

Totally understandable, Bob.

Will the FS photos still be there, accessible / visible in the threads they’re already planted in?

I cannot guarantee that at this time.

OK, thanks Bob.

Do you have any ideas on saving old build threads (with photos) to pdf files or zip folders or…?

Many thanks for all you’re doing for us,

Cliff

Bob McCown said:

Yes, you can continue to use the freight shed space, but I would strongly recommend backing the images up yourself. Also, I havent looked to see if the new package will allow me to carry over the same URLs. Which is why Im suggesting using someone else for your file space for images in threads.

Bob. McCown…

Is there anyway to get whats in our old frt. shed to get it coped some how or back to our hard dr?.. Not able to see anything in our old frt. now. All lost?

Not even sure how to get stuff i have in new frt. shed to hard dr. Well trying to get a screen shot of our logo and see if can copy it to use later on. We don’t have any other host for trains

What is IMGUR?

Image hosting site.

https://imgur.com/

Ken Brunt said:

Image hosting site.

https://imgur.com/

Is there anywhere on that site that tells you what it is, how it works, what your getting into Before you sign on the dotted line ???

Rick, I have no idea. I’ve never used it. There are others around that have.

Ken Brunt said:

Rick, I have no idea. I’ve never used it. There are others around that have.

Rick et al,

Do a Google search for “imgur terms of service”, you will get a fair number of returns on the Imgur site. IMHO any service that makes you hunt off site to find the rules of engagement is a site I don’t trust. It give me a feeling they have something to hide.

I’ve used IMGUR since they first came out. It’s really easy to use as a photo dump. So far I havent tried to re-organize my images there, but thats only because Im lazy. I do like that they have separate image URLS for various size images. I generally use the “Huge Thumbnail” resolution when posting to websites.

What program is recommended to mass download Freight Shed photos to imgur.com?

I personally have been using Flickr and abiding by THEIR RULES since Photobucket got greedy awhile back.

I’m just thankful that we still have LSC and I hope more will support her if they can!

Joe Zullo said:

None that I’m aware of .

Joe Zullo said:

you could go the long way around.

some months ago, when it seemed to me, that Bob was becoming tired of the forum, i searched for every thread of mine, i could find.

copied the texts to MS notebook (inserting the URLs of the pics at the corresponding places)

and now i am slowly converting all these threads into building logs for my website.

(a website on space, that i hire from a professional hoster with a domain name ( www.kormsen.info ) that i rent from the same hoster. the whole thing with 5GB space costs me about 70 $ per year)

to get your pics out of the forum/freight-shed, you right-click on them and select “save image as”.

then you can upload them from your pc to imgur/photo-bucket/whatever.com

but be aware, that they will have in any case another URL/address!

so, if the freight-sheds get lost, your threads will be naked of pics anyhow.