Large Scale Central

Loco carrier

The finished 45 tonner project needed a carrier, so I whipped out one to size.

what is going to keep it in place? how are the ends going to attach?

In the second photo, on the left hand side, is a coupler attached to a 1x2 across the end. That keeps the loco in place. I’ve used this on my other carriers successfully. There is no end on the rollout side.

well that makes it rather simple and easy! Thanks Bob

Rail carriers I think are very important if you transport your engine, etc. to run on other layouts and maybe your own layout if it’s not connected to some type of storage facility. It does help insure you of some protection of your engines, etc. wile transporting them, I don’t know of any other way to do it, other them to take them in there original boxes, which I find a big pain the you know what to do. Transportation of G scale items is never going to be perfect and the day will come that you will need some glue and maybe new replacement parts if something goes wrong. I sometimes feel it’s just easier to keep my stuff at home on my layout and just visit other layouts and not bring anything to run, I do realize that many of you have a club layout and have to transport your equipment just to run your engines, etc., just be careful when you transport your trains, you have a lot of $$$$ inverted.

trainman

Travel in this hobby long enough and you will find all kinds of carriers. Including nice quilts, just to get the new acquistion home. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)To the fact that we do take equipment to other peoples layouts and carry it sometimes for 5 months at a time in our vehicles, we use stackable plastic tool boxes. I like the tool boxes that can also be used as a step or seat. We have wooden cradles that sit in some tool boxes and foam cushioning in others. Everybody’s situation is different. Keeping your toys safe and secure is the idea.

As Ric says, you’ll find lots of variations, and lots of threads about how to make them. The live steamers have the most expensive locomotives and often travel, so they tend towards furniture quality custom boxes. I like tool boxes, but many aren’t long enough.