Large Scale Central

How do you power your G scale layout with using DCC

On my new inside G scale layout I want to use NCE DCC to run my trains. I already have NCE on my HOn3 layout so I’m pretty familiar with the product. My question is I don’t think the NEC PowerCab with an output of 2 amps max can handle 2-3 G scale engines. I do have the NCE SB5 5 amp booster, if I install it on the G scale layout will that be enough to run 2-3 g scale engines at one time, or do I need to do something else power wise. What do most of you do when you run DCC on your layouts for track power and what amps do you feel works for you. Thanks

trainman

John, I use the 10a wireless PowerPro with a 10a Meanwell DC power supply.

Greg E., who also uses NCE, has an excellent article on the topic here, including current ratings, enclosures, wiring tips & etc.

Cliff Jennings said:

Greg E., who also uses NCE, has an excellent article on the topic here, including current ratings, enclosures, wiring tips & etc.

Where do I find Greg E article on this.

trainman

www.elmassian.com is Greg’s website.

Can you run 2-3 locos on 5 amps? That would depend on the locos. Three Steinz would probably work fine. Three larger engines with smoke, sound and/or multiple motors, not a chance.

I run the wireless NCE Powerpro outside with 10A Brutus. I normally have two LGB moguls and a mikado, all with sound and smoke, along with multiple track powered cars with LED lamps, running on the same loop at once with no issues. But, one train is always sitting in the station waiting to move out, so only two are drawing motor power at any given time. I was also told LGB’s motors are pretty efficient and don’t draw much power compared to some other brands.

What engines are you planning to use? Perhaps others here know how much power they require.

Cliff Jennings said:

Cliff hid the link here

To run anything at a time, my first outdoor DC system was 10 amp, and my first DCC system was 8 amp at 24 volts on the track.

Now I would not settle for less than 10 amp and 24 volts for a layout, and there are not many choices here, however for my Christmas tree loop I do use the old MTS I at 5 amp, small engines and low current. I just turn it on and let it run.

My current system is the Zimo MX10 with 12 amps to my outdoor layout.

John-

I use NCE PH10R system with the 10A Brutus supply. I use LokSound 5XL decoders. I’ve had no issues running a few engines at a time. I ordered my system online from Model Train Stuff. I purchased the PH10R, Brutus, 1 NCE circuit breaker, 3 NCE block detectors for around $790 with shipping. Before ordering I signed up for the newsletter to get a 10% discount code off of the first order. I think the next cheapest place I could find online was about $100 more for everything.

Derailed said:

www.elmassian.com is Greg’s website.

Can you run 2-3 locos on 5 amps?

Absolutely !

I would describe the 3 locos at 5 amps as not being the large engines like 3 USA trains Hudsons.

And if LGB dual motor locos, it depends on how many cars are being pulled and whether there is a lit passenger car consist as regular lights can increase current as will smoke units.

Greg has a PABBA set with lit passenger cars that can pull 10 amps.