Large Scale Central

Which Tsunami Decoder for LGB

Since this will be my first Tsunami decoder install in an LGB engine, I’m wondering if the 2 amp decoder will be ok for an LGB 2055 Alco Diesel (WP&Y) with two powered trucks. I’ve seen some installs on YouTube and the stall rating is around 1.5 amps which tells me a 2 amp decoder should work. I guess what I’m asking will a 2 amp decoder work for a two truck power LGB engine, or will I have to go to the 4 amp decoder. Added info, I will not be pulling long trains, say max, 10 cars tops. You in the know let me have your input on this and what you would do, thanks.

trainman

Since the Alco is a 2 motor unit with at least 4 incandescent lights on at any one time (2 headlights and 2 marker lights{front and rear}, I would go with at least 3 amps. That is the LGB rating of the decoder they used. Remember the start up current of a bulb is high until it lights up and gets more resistance and LGB runs these at over 6 volts!!

Dan Pierce said:

Since the Alco is a 2 motor unit with at least 4 incandescent lights on at any one time (2 headlights and 2 marker lights{front and rear}, I would go with at least 3 amps. That is the LGB rating of the decoder they used. Remember the start up current of a bulb is high until it lights up and gets more resistance and LGB runs these at over 6 volts!!

Dan, I will be replacing the factory lights with LED’s, this should have some effect on the amps being used, what do you think, trainman

Yes, leds are a much better way to go, but would still go with a 3 amp or more decoder. I use a 1.8 amp decoder on the LGB single motor engines like the stainz.

I’d go with the larger 4-amp decoder, definitely, on this one. The 2-amp boards are okay for 1-motor locos which will not be pulling heavy loads, but there’s no excuse not to use the bigger board in this loco. Plenty of space, and the extra $50 for peace of mind knowing it’s up to the task. (It’s worth $50 not to have to take the bugger apart a second time to troubleshoot a problematic board.)

Later,

K

I pretty much agree with you Kevin, I think I will use the Tsunami 2 amp in my LGB 2063 single motor drive and a 4 amp in my LGB 2055 dual motor drive engines.

trainman

John Lenheiser said:

I pretty much agree with you Kevin, I think I will use the Tsunami 2 amp in my LGB 2063 single motor drive and a 4 amp in my LGB 2055 dual motor drive engines.

trainman

John - I’d also recommend using a Soundtraxx CurrentKeeper Caps device with each decoder…they really help getting through the large LGB switch plastic frogs and also dirty track areas, particularly for single motor block locos. I use them on all my Soundtraxx Tsunami2 installations. I bought my last batch on eBay from a seller for $25 each.

Tom

I assume a current keeper device is a high energy storage capacitor and these need to be ‘trickle’ charged to limit the in-rush current on DCC. If you have many engines on the track, then turning on the command station can cause a current trip due the the high current needed to charge the capacitors!!

I use a resistor in the charge circuit and added a diode to discharge bypassing the resistor. Note that some Zimo decoders have a limited charging circuit for when you add capacitors so the diode and resistor are not needed.