Large Scale Central

A heads up for those trying to get into chat

Some have been noticed trying to join chat in the evenings, seem to fail and leave. Though after your name appears and we tell you the switch that allows you to enter, it is too late and you leave before you figure the way to post

At the bottom of the page you will see a black box with Chat in it. Scroll your pointer to it and press as it tells you. Once you do this it will update the screen and let you in to see what is going on past the point of conversation you see when you arrive. If you see ‘new’ in yellow above the typing your message box press the black chat button to see the added messages. This chat does not automatically update.

Chat
Press ‘chat’ to refresh

Scroll
Msgs

No intent to step on Dave, but rather to expand upon … Pictures can be worth thousands of words.

For the new folks that are not familiar with how the LSC Chat works, I have generated this tutorial to introduce you to chat. First order of business, you must be logged into the forum in order to access chat. Once logged in, click on the chat button on the menu bar.

When you enter the chat environment, look to the lower right and you will see the ‘Who is chatting’ window. Your name, along with all other members that are in the chat will show here. I happen to be the only person in the chat when I made this so only my name appears.

At this point you can keep up with the conversation(s) in chat by updating the chat dialog by clicking on the CHAT button. This software does not auto-update. You do not need to type anything in the chat window to update the chat. Lurkers are welcome.

Chat Button

Chat Window

Chat Dialog

When you see a yellow ‘New’ flag next to the ‘Chat’ over the input window, someone has posted something to the chat. This is usually a good time to update the Chat Dialog.

To join the conversation(s) simply type your comment, question, joke or whatever in the chat window and click on the CHAT button.

Should you enter chat in the middle of a conversation and would like to see what the previous chat content is, you can ‘scroll back’ some predetermined numbers of posts by expanding the drop down under the Chat button and clicking on the number of posts to scroll back (say ) 50.

I am sure I left something out, but this should be enough to get someone unfamiliar with our chat server participating.