Large Scale Central

Gon to Working Hopper Conversion

I have a Bachmann gondola that I’d like to modify into a working hopper car for use in ballast service.

Do you all have any ideas of how I might do that?? Function is more important than aesthetics.

Not being a smart a$$, but lots of time with a razor saw and lots of bits and pieces of styrene. Study the under frame to determine where it is safe to cut with out damaging the truck support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo3t_5-Hwo4 You might look what this guy did, I personally think and me being a modeler first and a train runner second that the drop bottom gondola is probably one of the hardest and most difficult cars to build. There are plans in HOn3 kits that you could enlarge and go from there, I personally have an HOn3 D&RGW layout and I have several Blackstone drop bottom gons on my layout and I didn’t build any of them, Blackstone sells ready to run models. All being said, for the average guy I would purchase LGB 4076 Hopper cars, they open at the bottom in four places and would probably work better then these gons, you can find them on eBay at all different prices, I purchased mine for around $50 per car. I don’t see any way to work with that car and get good results, maybe someone else has and can give you some good advice.

trainman

Joe,

There’s a very similar car from Bachmann which already has the interior set up for dumping ore, etc. Cutting the bottom out of the hoppers woudn’t be too difficult. These things go for $20-30, but you might manage to swap your gondola for one?