Large Scale Central

LGB 12040 switch lantern issue

Bought a couple of the LGB 12040 switch lanterns so I could see how the turnouts were thrown at night. The problem I am having is the little nub which sticks down from the rotating lens assembly, isn’t long enough to stick into the hole which is attached to the throw rod which results in the lens assembly not rotating when the switch is thrown.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and more importantly, come up with a fix?

Are you using the early switch motors with ths loop on the throwbar, or the later motors where the loop is a separate attached piece? I think that you need to use/will have better luck with the latter.

BTW, I have these on all of my turnouts, and every one is disconnected as they add undue stress on the switch motor and can foul the throw. I use them for their lights, but after 23 years, even those have corroded through.

Pretty sure these are the newer kind. Mine have the separate loop which attaches to the throw bar. The loop adapter is either too low (And can’t be raised) or the pin is too short.

Its a shame if these won’t work. I want to be able to know what is going on with the switch at night.

maybe, the tip of a “Parker” ballpen mine would fit over the hook, to prolongate it.

The reach of the pin into the loop has never been an issue for me. I actually have the lanterns turned so that the pins can’t interfere with the throw. Are you sure that they are seated in there properly? There is a “tang” and a “slot” that must line up.

Another reason that the pins may not go into the loops is that the lanterns are not in the same plane as the turnout motor (e.g., off camber) such that the pin throws at an up angle missing/disengaging the loop.

I’m an idiot. I didn’t have it on correctly. I didn’t realize the throwbar was supposed to fit into the pocket of the adapter. sigh

Hey! I’ve got company!

We’ve all had our D’oh (head slap) moments …

You belong here (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Derailed said:

I’m an idiot. …

welcome to the club!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)