Large Scale Central

Lucky Lizard Mine

I am building a wooden mine for the train trailer I am helping a Friend build.

In building this mine I am not concerned about setting outside, but needs to be light weight.

I wanted to use a surplus of Poplar wood that is scrapped from my business. I ripped up over 150 pieces of 1/8" thick on the table saw.

I use a Rockler thin rip attachment, highly recommend it. Stained the wood with min wax grat wood stain.

I drew in CAD the plywood frame for the top and bottom

IMG_5330 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_5329 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

Siding is glued and nailed in place with headless pins. Pinned to the top and bottom plywood frame

IMG_5331 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

The windows and doors hava a 1/8" frame in the middle with 1/16" frames on the inside and outside, all glued together with Gorrilla Super glue creating a groove on all 4 sides.

IMG_5326 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

All the windows and doors are sized to fit either 2 boards for man doors and windows and 5 board wide for the large doors.

IMG_5322 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_5323 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_5332 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

The installation of windows and doors with this siding happened very easily and quickly.

the openings remember me of Lincoln Logs…

how and from what are the parts of doors and windows made?

coming along nicely

the openings remember me of Lincoln Logs…

how and from what are the parts of doors and windows made?

Korm

the window parts are made from acrylic lasered to fit the width of 2 boards, plus a little in case of expansion

thanks for asking

Dennis

More Pictures

IMG_5346 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_5354 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_5353 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_5363 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_5382 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_5381 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_5380 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_5379 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

hey, are you starting a competition with Vic?

looks impressive.

Dennis, I hope you have a temporary support under that cantilevered part of that building for transport. Vibration will likely do that in with out it. Otherwise it is quite impressive.

Beautiful work Dennis, love the diorama setup.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Bob Cope said:

Dennis, I hope you have a temporary support under that cantilevered part of that building for transport. Vibration will likely do that in with out it. Otherwise it is quite impressive.

Yes Bob it gets a 3 level Decking out in front of the mine, Thanks

Thanks Rick

This is a real work of art, Dennis!

Thanks Eric