Large Scale Central

USA#6 turnouts

I have several USA #6 turnouts, and want to remove the electric switch machines and just add some ground throws. I seem to have read or heard from others that this will cause electrical problems for locos going through the switch causing the magis smoke to show up . Has anyone else done this and have there been any problems? None of the switches have been powered and the manual throw on the motors is getting harder to move since dirt and debris is gatting inside the whole mechanism.

Pete;

Removing the electric switch machines should not have anything to do with “magic Smoke” in any way. Adding a hand throw has no connection with anything electric, besides connecting to the point rail “Throw Bar”.

There is, of course, possibly an electrical switch, on the bottom of the #6 switch, which directs power, depending on the direction the point rails are thrown. It can get clogged with crap, under the switch, from the ballast or garbage at accumulates under there. It might need protection, and cleaning, but has nothing to do with the chosen switch throw.

If of course you are using “Dead Rail” (Battery power, R/C) this won’t matter at all.

Fred Mills

You should have now problem removing electric motors and installing a hand throw switch stand. Bachman makes a nice one. I would clean out the switch and make them throw easier. Later RJD

Yes Bachmann sells a great one

Large Scale Central - Advanced Forum Detail Topic - Bachmann ...

Will Bachmann switch ground throws work with Aristo Craft switches? The Bachmann looks a lot better that the Aristo Craft.

Yes. Very well. I converted most of my Aristo Craft switch throws to Bachman. I used a dab of black hot glue to hold the marker pole in place. I’m very happy with them.

Ron Hill said:

Will Bachmann switch ground throws work with Aristo Craft switches? The Bachmann looks a lot better that the Aristo Craft.

Yes. You need to change the throw distance. Instructions on the card/ Fit the ties perfectly.

Thanks Jon!