Large Scale Central

Resin printing with the Elegoo Mars

Just wanted to share some of my experiences using the Elegoo Mars SLA printer now that I’ve had some time to play with it. I’ve been printing FDM for 5+ years now and there is a bit of a learning curve when moving to SLA. You literally have to think upside down! Instead of gravity pushing down on the part it pulls it away from the build platform as it’s dipped in the vat of liquid resin and lifted up (also creating a bit of suction) with each layer. Therefore, careful attention must be paid to “suspend” rather than support but I’m getting the “hang” of it!

I’ve been playing around with the 3 seemingly most recommended resins for my printer and the clear winner is Siraya Tech BLU. https://www.siraya.tech/ It claims to be suitable for functional parts and specifically formulated for the low-cost LCD printers. I’m a Scot so I tried blending BLU with the cheaper standard elegoo resin in ratios 50/50 60/40 70/30 and 80/20 to see if I could save $$ but found that wasn’t worth it as 80/20 was the only acceptable blend and were talking BLU @ $50/kg and Elegoo Grey @ $37/kg

My basic test was done by twisting the bulkhead in each direction a bit (about a half inch). Straight Elegoo grey as well as the 50/50 and 50/40 blends crack like ribbon candy.

Siraya Tech makes an ABS-Like resin called “Fast” $35/kg that I find suitable for thicker parts that need not flex like the details I add to my wide cabs and GP40 conversion parts.

Over the next few months I will be conducting real-world outdoor exposure tests to see how they hold up in the Northeast.

Some test pieces

Fails

BLU

Boy do I need to learn some things. No idea what you said and no need to try to teach this pig to sing! Haha! Maybe I will get a little more educated on 3D printing because it sounds like a cool way to get the things you need but cannot findThanks Dan!

Pete Lassen said:

Boy do I need to learn some things. No idea what you said and no need to try to teach this pig to sing! Haha! Maybe I will get a little more educated on 3D printing because it sounds like a cool way to get the things you need but cannot findThanks Dan!

I’m sorry. I guess I was kinda all over the place with this post.

Short version. A $250 printer (and $33 for a heater and a thermostat that I forgot to mention) using Siraya Tech BLU resin can produce Highly detailed finished parts that potentially can withstand North East weather. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

More a jab at my severe lack of knowledge about 3D printing , other than I would like to learn some day , not soon but someday, but then I would have to learn Shapeway and computer drawing and on and on. A lot for someone that can barely do more than find a website. Anyway keep posting I will keep reading and one day I might be able to actually print something

Pete Lassen said:

More a jab at my severe lack of knowledge about 3D printing , other than I would like to learn some day , not soon but someday, but then I would have to learn Shapeway and computer drawing and on and on. A lot for someone that can barely do more than find a website. Anyway keep posting I will keep reading and one day I might be able to actually print something

Don’t feel bad, Pete. I’m in the same boat.

Some of these guys make it look easy…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I’m probably luckier than some of you guys. I have a son who just happens to be a computer graphics artist who is quite familiar with the use of 3D printing. I have finally found a project for him to apply his skills. All it’s going to cost me is about $1500 for a SLA printer for his use. I’m in the process of building a 1:20.3 Cooke Mogul which requires a Congdon stack. (I’ll be posting on that project later.) All I had to do is send him the scale drawings and he will take it from there. At my age, I have no time to learn all this stuff. Here’s a rendering of the stack he will print for me when the new printer arrives.

(http://largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_2849/Misc/smokey_black1.jpg)

Don Watson said:

I’m probably luckier than some of you guys. I have a son who just happens to be a computer graphics artist who is quite familiar with the use of 3D printing. I have finally found a project for him to apply his skills. All it’s going to cost me is about $1500 for a SLA printer for his use. I’m in the process of building a 1:20.3 Cooke Mogul which requires a Congdon stack. (I’ll be posting on that project later.) All I had to do is send him the scale drawings and he will take it from there. At my age, I have no time to learn all this stuff. Here’s a rendering of the stack he will print for me when the new printer arrives.

That certainly is a nice drawing! What printer did you purchase for your son? I thought as you got older you have more time to learn?

He suggested the Epax X10.

Don Watson said:

He suggested the Epax X10.

Good choice! If I find a need for greater build volume, I’d be looking at that one also. 6x the build volume of my Mars and 6x the price. Highly recommend Siraya Tech BLU resin for durable parts for use outdoors.

I’m sure the print will come out great! Here is an On30 Tender I’ve been working on. These rivet heads are .33mm and .42mm!

I use a couple of anycubic photons and an epax x10 with the Siraya Tech fast resin and get excellent results. It is a learning curve though.