Large Scale Central

Spring has arrived (mostly)

I spent yesterday afternoon working on the layout, something I had almost no time to do last year. Two of the kids came out and helped pull weeds (still tiny at this time of year) out of the right of way. While we were working, I sent this newly-batterized (yes, I just made that word up) Easter Eggliner running laps. For some reason I’ve had trouble with my Eggliners using track power, even when equipped with skates and capacitors. Anyway, he ran for about three hours while we weeded, worked on getting leaves out of the pond, etc.

After such a long period of neglect, there are a thousand things to do. I need to re-level and re-ballast the track, bring some buildings inside to refurbish them, fix a broken electrical connection (that currently prevents the structures from lighting up at night), The pond filter needs work, and I’m replacing the over-large dwarf Alberta spruce with ones that I am leaving in the pots to help stunt their growth. I also need to plant additional ground cover and move a few winter projects (mostly things for my logging setup) out from the garage.

I also need to finish stripping the ill-advised paint of the fence. My wife preferred the look of a white fence, but the cedar doesn’t hold it well and it needed repainting every couple of years–which I am no longer up for.

It’s enough work that I expect to keep myself out of trouble for the foreseeable future.

Beautiful layout

Nice railroad Dan , mine is a long way from ready because it’s still covered with wet leafs and pine needles. It needs to dry out first and then I can get to it .

Dan

You have a railroad to be proud of!

Thanks guys.

Mike, I know what you mean about the wet leaves. It was the same way here until a week or two ago. Then the Kansas wind kicked up and mostly dried them out. And in the process, scattered them everywhere of course.