Forums General For Sale/Trade
  • Topic: Wanted LGB 2018D Mogul Gearbox Weights

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 9, 2020 9:41 PM EDT
      • McLean, VA

• Thanks

Wanted LGB 2018D Mogul Gearbox Weights

I'm installing a DCC sound decoder into a friend's LGB 2018D Mogul.  To my amazement, there are no weights in the front and rear of the gearbox like all the other Moguls I've worked on.  I found out from a former LGB technician that the first versions of this Mogul LGB does not have any weights in the gear box.  If anyone has either of these weights that they'd like to sell, I need them.

Thanks

Tom White

LGB Railfan - LocomotivesPro

https://www.olddominionrailways.com/

• March 10, 2020 3:20 PM EDT
      • Ormond Beach, Fl. 32174

• Thanks

I will forewarn you to paint your weights when you find them, I found that I was having trouble with mine and it was jerky and would stall at times, when I pulled the covers off the motor housing it was full of lead oxide and was getting in the gears, the engine is 1980s vintage, Just an FYIlead oxide

• March 10, 2020 11:57 PM EDT

•  
      • Thanks

I coat my lead weights with lanocoat, a lanoline based protectant used in the marine industry. My USA Trains weights need this treatment when I first open them up. It sprays on, keeps a nice coating and I don't have to spray paint, and try to get all 4 sides of a weight.

Greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• April 22, 2020 7:08 AM EDT
      • McLean, VA

• Thanks

I had a can of Gardner Bender-brand Spray Liquid Tape, a spray-on black rubber insulation coating, that I tried on a set of Mogul weights and it works well.  I only coated them because they were starting to show signs of slight corrosion, and I first soaked them in cleaning vinegar over night.

Tom White

• April 22, 2020 8:21 AM EDT
      • McLean, VA

• Thanks

Bill Barnwell said:

I will forewarn you to paint your weights when you find them, I found that I was having trouble with mine and it was jerky and would stall at times, when I pulled the covers off the motor housing it was full of lead oxide and was getting in the gears, the engine is 1980s vintage, Just an FYIlead oxide

Bill - what solvent did you use to clean out your Mogul's motor block, gears, etc?  I've been using rubbing alcohol which does an okay job, but there must be another solvent that is LGB plastic safe that works better?

Thanks.  Tom

Tom White

• April 22, 2020 10:51 AM EDT
      • McLean, VA

• Thanks

Thomas White said:

I'm installing a DCC sound decoder into a friend's LGB 2018D Mogul.  To my amazement, there are no weights in the front and rear of the gearbox like all the other Moguls I've worked on.  I found out from a former LGB technician that the first versions of this Mogul LGB does not have any weights in the gear box.  If anyone has either of these weights that they'd like to sell, I need them.

Thanks

I checked with my Massoth supplier in Germany and he says that Marklin/LGB doesn't carry the lead weights for even the latest Mogul as parts that can be ordered.  So, a hobbyist friend and I have fabricated duplicates of the LGB factory-made lead weights by using hot lead molds.  We have a set for LGB Moguls posted on eBay and also on my Website for sale.  At first I thought the original owner of the Mogul I'm working on had removed the factory lead weights from the motor block.  But then I noticed the top cover of the motor block doesn't have the front and rear screw holes for fastening the weights.  And Klaus Stork, a former LGB technician who worked for LGB in Germany for many years, told me that the first LGB 2018D Moguls were made without lead weights in them.  So adding weights helps these older Moguls with traction and stability.  The top cover will also need to be replaced with a newer version with the screw holds and underside protrusions that fit into the top of the weights.

Tom White

• May 4, 2020 9:07 AM EDT
      • McLean, VA

• Thanks

Thomas White said:

Thanks

A hobbyist friend and I decided to manufacture the weights for LGB Mogul locomotives.  I needed a set for an LGB 2018D Mogul that has none.  We've made extras and I'm selling them on eBay and my Website if anyone needs a set.  Many of the first version LGB 2018D Moguls were manufactured by Ernst paul Lehmann patentwerk without weights.  These help with the locomotive's traction, stability particularly the front leading wheel set. 

Tom White

• May 6, 2020 2:33 PM EDT
      • Ormond Beach, Fl. 32174

• Thanks

Tom don't know if you ever found your weights or not but thee is a dealer on eBay that has some, ilovetobuy2014 

X

• May 6, 2020 3:50 PM EDT
      • McLean, VA

• Thanks

Hi Bill - Yes, he's the same seller I previously mentioned to you about the Mogul boiler domes.  He's selling some Mogul 3-pin motor blocks in poor condition and overpriced, and the weights are inside them.

I searched everywhere to find new or used Mogul motor block weights and no one has them.  My Massoth supplier in Germany even checked with LGB/Marklin and they don't make them available as a spare part even for their latest Moguls.  So my partner and I decided to start manufacturing them by developing lead molds based upon a set removed from a Mogul.  I now sell them on eBay and my Website and I've already sold two sets.  If someone realizes that LGB produced the first editions of the LGB 2018D without any weights in them, I suspect others will want to buy a set from me.  You can see them available on my new Parts & Accessories Web Page:

https://www.olddominionrailways.com/parts-for-sale

Tom

Tom White

Forums General For Sale/Trade

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google