Forums General Track and Trestles
  • Topic: Track metal compatibility

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 23, 2020 5:15 PM EST
      • South Dartmouth , Massachusetts

• Thanks

Hi Ted

i will be ordering 4 of the frog inserts as I only have 4 #6 switches. Today I did some work on one switch as a test bed for all four of them. I milled .030 off the inside lower web of both guard rails and milled each end at 10degrees to make a nice ramp on each end. I was going to mention exactly what you stated, the gauge of the swing rails is too narrow in places. I removed both and did more sanding of the swing rail aces in the needed areas and worked on the ends so now the wheelsno longer ride up on the rails. I will post pictures later. 

• January 23, 2020 6:31 PM EST
      • Be Nice or STFU

• Thanks

I'm sure it is a typo, where you said "sanding of the swing rail aces".... what did you mean to put there? (also called point rails I think)

Glad you are making improvements, seems that almost everything Aristo made needed some tweaking.

Greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• January 24, 2020 12:36 AM EST

• Thanks

Yes, sorry, my terminology is wrong and I meant the backs of the point rails where they close against the fixed rail. I looked at another switch quickly and it’s much worse as far as the width of the point rails. The guy I bought all the SS track and switches from seemed he was a little aggravated with the whole outdoor railroad he had and now I can understand why. He must have had a ton of derailments with these switches.

i wanted to add pictures but can’t figure out how. Don’t see an add photos icon or any like that.

• January 24, 2020 12:43 AM EST

• Thanks

More

• January 24, 2020 6:24 AM EST
      • Easton , Massachusetts

• Thanks

How well is your rolling stock's wheel gauge ..

Greg what should his wheels be set @.. couldn't help to check these ..

My u-tube  My Vimeo

The light in the tunnel might not be an engine , but a light in the caboose of my own train on my Roundy Round Rail Road !    My empire is complete...I think...

• January 24, 2020 8:27 AM EST
      • Candlewood Valley, Connecticut

• Thanks

No arguments with any of the information on the #6's provided, but my experience has been a lot different.

I put down 5 Aristo #6's on my main line possibly 10 years ago or more.  I have had no real issues with 4 of the 5.  One of them has a little problem with picking points when taking the diverging route, but the straight mainline route is fine. I don't see any of the frog wear noted. I do not do roundy-round, so a mainline frog may see traffic of 4-6 cars 50-75 times per year. I'm sure the roundy-round guys put much more wear on theirs.

I've also not noticed any issue with frog depth.  I don't run any LGB equipment. All Bachmann and Accucraft Fn3 equipment now. Had a bunch of Bachmann and Aristo 1:22-29 stuff when I first started.  I set my adjustable wheels to the G1MRA back to back.  I might have the issue, but I don't notice it and get no problems from it.

Aristo Wide (10Ft) switches, not so much. They need a lot of help! 

www.cvsry.com www.cvsry.com

• January 24, 2020 3:04 PM EST
      • San Mateo, California

• Thanks

Another Aristo #6 problem to look out for!

The short stub end rail portion beyond the frog of this turnout is very flexible. This can result in the stub railheads not being level with the frog railheads.  I had experienced a broken piece off the pilot of a USA Trains F3 because it struck the raised stub rails.  A remedy can be had.  See the following illustrations:

-Ted Doskaris

• January 24, 2020 5:27 PM EST
      • Be Nice or STFU

• Thanks

Interesting the varied experiences.

Funny, I have never seen a well used #6 that did not have that weird looking wear on the frog.

Also, I think Jon, if you look very closely at your rolling stock as it goes through the frog, you will see the wheel drop down lower than the rail head. Even Aristo made these inserts for their #6.

I did not experience derailments for this issue, but noticed the train made a lot more noise through the switch, when I got close I could see the issue of wheels dropping into the frog.

A suggestion of where the 2 stub rails approach the frog, these rails can move a bit and short to the frog, a trimmed piece of a credit card will keep this from happening.

Greg

Be sure­ to visit ­my site, l­ots of tec­hnical tip­s and modi­fications,­ and you c­an search ­for topics­ and key w­ords.

­Click HERE for Greg­'s web sit­e
      PLEASE NOT­E: Please do NOT use private messaging, i­f you have­ a questio­n, feel fr­ee to emai­l me priva­tely, u­se regular­ email onl­y: greg@el­massian.co­m

• January 24, 2020 8:19 PM EST
      • Rooster Works "Area 69" ,

• Thanks

Greg Elmassian said:

I'm sure it is a typo, where you said "sanding of the swing rail aces".... what did you mean to put there? (also called point rails I think)

Yankee terminology ....

• January 25, 2020 12:55 PM EST
      • San Mateo, California

• Thanks

Aristo #6 Turnout Stub Rails' Insulators

Greg Elmassian said:

Snip" A suggestion of where the 2 stub rails approach the frog, these rails can move a bit and short to the frog, a trimmed piece of a credit card will keep this from happening." Snip

Greg

Agreed; It can be seen looking at the last picture which included the F3 loco pilot, the turnout installed in the layout is fitted with little black plastic insulators.  I glued in thin strips of ABS plastic and then cut off the surrounding excess.

-Ted D

Forums General Track and Trestles

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google