Large Scale Central

SR&RL #6 rides the Maine Snow

The long awaited Accucraft Maine Forney is due any day as it has been for some time…this is not that, sorry! “Maybe February”

I modified the WW&F #9 to resemble herself back in the SR&RL days. It required some model making skills. The first thing to tackle was the number plate. we had a blank replica plate, so all that needed doing was to make a brass #9 …er… I mean #6 to match.

I sawed this out of some 0.093" brass plate I had in stock same stuff I made the frame for my 1:20 scale model of #9 from! there is “Emma’s” smoke box above for scale…

I had to open the smoke box door and remove the heat shield to get to the bolts holding the number plate! I flipped the numbers in the headlights. They didnt try to fall out until I flipped em back…that probably says something about the engine’s preferences?

We ordered some lettering from a vinyl shop which I applied to black painted magnetic sheets for the side of the tender tank.

They are a little bigger than Stan’s typical work! I varnished over every thing to blend the “shine” and protect the work just as we had done on the original tank sides. They were actually quite a bit smoother, shinier and blacker than the tank is now. I decided to paint two blank magnetic sheets to cover the rough sides above and below the herald. Because the cab is wood I didnt really think the magnets would stick so I made thin plywood panel, painted them black and applied the number a couple of tacks into the cab frame were enough to unobtrusively hold the panels.

finally the day came. we fired up and collected three SR&RL coaches, Combine 14 (who’s nice clerestory roof burnt off back in the day, her sister coach(11?) sorry I cannot keep the numbers straight in my head, and the Parlor car Rangely

Great video!

That’s either a real big guy drivin that thing or that’s a very small locomotive…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Fantastic plumes and that sound system is great Eric. You’ve set the bar right high with this build. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Thanks for the video of Maine two footers

Kent, two foot gauge stuff is “small” though Bridgton and Saco #7 and #8 are on the line this week and they dont feel so small at 38 tons. SR&RL 6 is only 18 tons.

I enjoyed that, Eric. Thanks for sharing. I especially liked the steam whistle, I love that sound.

Dan, i especially appreciate that, i machined the raw castings and got to toot it the first time!

Love the boiler jacket!

Not Russian iron I suppose …but the blueing is gorgeous and I don’t even like steam!

The boiler jacket is actually English iron, (not steel) that had been polished then sent out to be chemically blackened…like gun blacking. It provides some resistance to rust, thou we keep it “clean” with automatic transmission fluid oil wipe downs.

I seriously have to stop watching your videos Eric. Every time I do I want to build me a little locomotive like that one. its so cute.

Cute?

Yes cute, its like a little kitten.

Well Devon, your half way there with MIK’s challange on to the the next one in a couple weeks!