Large Scale Central

Along came a Climax

With my departure from the smaller scales that I modeled logging operations in(cant hardly see HO scale well enough to enjoy it), I have shift that modeling to my G scale layout, with a mix of welsh narrow gauge when the mood stikes! I picked this old girl up from Peter K’s estate sale. She has a few issues that I am slowly correcting those. I do have her running again under steam, but new piston rings are needed and a different throttle lever for RC control, both on order from Tripple R Steam Services. A friend made the decals for me on his vinyl cutter. The Climax is based on C&N #2, a baby 50 ton 3 truck model for 3’ gauge. Aster modeled it in 1:23rd scale, so she looks good with LGB disconnects or cars from Kalamazoo/Hartland Loco Works. I have one of the new Davenports on order from Roundhouse for delivery in early fall of this year. That one will become Hickory Lake Lumber #1. Mike

Very nice! I’m jealous. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Joe Zullo said:

Very nice! I’m jealous. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Me too, Joe!!

I had to do a double take on one of those photos before I noticed it was a model! Nice find, and thanks for restoring her to operating condition!

Thanks guys, she is close to being back up to snuff. Kind of like Cass Scenic Climax #9, running on reduced 125psi boiler pressure at first till the new turret was built. They were using the turret of Moore Kepple #6. With the blowby in the cylinders right now she doesn’t like to self start(valve timing is spot on). But once parts arrive and I get the piston rods free from the crossheads so as to remove the piston heads out the end of the cylinder block, she will be back to full power again. There were little crystals all over the floor of the cab and middle bunker area(RC gear area), like sugar crystals but a bit larger. Had lots of fun picking those out of the gear teeth on the middle truck. She was very very dirty, lots of loose fasteners. But I enjoy the tinkering part of the hobby. Cheers Mike the Aspie

The Deuce will soon by joined by what will represent the first engine my small logging railway first locomotive. I will get this one when the leader of our informal steam group returns from Diamondhead MS steam up. She is another Aster, this time their Baldwin B1 0-4-2. Alcohol fired but I will probably build up a small ceramic gas burner to put where the wicks are now. Mike