Large Scale Central

Long, and Medium Micro-Engineering, steel spikes

Having to replace an 8 foot wooden trestle; I found out how long plain steel spikes can “Live” out in the real World.

I had built two trestles way back previous to 1990. We used Western Red Cedar strip wood.

Due to the bents deteriorating, and signs that the deck was not too stable any longer, we decided to replace one of them. The other one had been burned in an arsonist’s fire years ago.

The reason for this thread, is to report that the original Micro-Engineering/Railcraft spikes were still in great shape, after over 20 years of service, as some people in the past have wondered about spikes rusting out.

The spikes used were the plain steel ones (Medium, and long lengths). None of them had come loose, and were still holding strong.

Our weather is of the 4 seasons variety, and involves lots of rain, and snow. The temperatures varies from the low 30C to the high 90c, along with great sunshine.

With this experience; I see no need for using stainless steel spike on the replacement trestle, which again will be all hand-layed Aluminium running rails, and guardrails.

Fred Mills

You must have a nice clean environment, congratulations! Some people have had them rust out much much faster.

But of course I agree with you, in your environment no need for SS. They must have rusted a little bit, which of course helps them hold.

Greg